Dead Badgers found whilst cycling

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Gravity Aided, 31 Mar 2019.

1. lazybloke

lazybloke Über Member

He's not long for this world

upload_2019-4-10_1-49-57.png

Gravity Aided likes this.
  2. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

THat bloke does interesting videos but I find his voice is just so annoying.

It is HISTORY ... That DESERVES ... To be remembered.

3. OP
    OP
    Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided Guru

I think he teaches at McKendree College, which is a college in a small town in Illinois. Every so often, you'll come to a small town like Eureka or Monmouth or Lebanon, and there among the ruralness is a little college. I think McKendree is just about the oldest college in Illinois.(1828). About 3,000 students, in a town of about 4,000. I think they are building, or have built, new residence halls so you don't have to pledge a fraternity.(although I rather liked fraternity life, it is not some people's cup of tea.).

Last edited: 10 Apr 2019
    Reynard and Dogtrousers like this.
  4. There are a lot of live badgers where I live but I see very few dead ones. There are dozens of deer and in 15 years I have only seen one dead one. We expect animals on the road in my part of Denmark and so people maybe drive accordingly.

5. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Denmark is the location of the mythical Badgers' Graveyard where all badgers go to die. Since the end of the last ice age, when the British Isles were separated from the continent, badgers in the British Isles have their death-migration instincts frustrated by the North Sea and the English Channel, which is why we get so many dead ones on the road.

6. oldwheels

oldwheels Veteran

There are no badgers on Mull and if there were they would probably get eaten by a Sea Eagle. This may sound fanciful but according to some experts much of the indigenous wildlife is being killed off including Golden Eagles. Even non experts are beginning to notice a decline in most species from rabbits to seabirds.

7. 12boy

12boy Über Member

Here in Wyoming we got your raccoons, skunks the odd badger, fox and coyote and many deer and pronghorn antelope. Other places you add possums and armadillos. We got no hedgehogs but we does got porcupines. There can be turkeys, too, because the toms stop traffic and want to fight with cars. Snakes get run over on the bikeparhs because they like to warm up in the sun. Although harmless, a six foot bullsnake can be startling. Always sad to see dead wildlife, especially after hitting a deer has trashed your car.

8. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Dead badger seen on today's ride and yesterday's commute saw a dead hare:sad:

9. bladderhead

bladderhead Active Member

Today I was getting the bike out out of the shed and I saw a dead bee.

12boy and Dogtrousers like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided Guru

I have opossums, and occasional armadillosin my area. I think badgers carry bovine tuberculosis. Armadillos carry leprosy.

11. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Yesterday was a particularly graphic roadkill day. The Dorset Coast 200. Even living in nearby Somerset I haven’t ever seen so many dead animals. There was an injured partridge. I wanted to get to it to end its suffering but it was in an inaccessible field. Later on there was a roe deer that had been hit by a car and was writhing in agony. Head and torso injuries, wide eyes, braying in pain. It was very distressing for anyone who passed. I hope someone (a vet or gun owner) got to it quick. Poor animal.

I hate our car centric lifestyle.

12boy likes this.
  12. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

13. 12boy

12boy Über Member

14. Poacher

Poacher Gravitationally challenged member

About a week ago I passed what I took to be a dead escaped Ferret between Burton Joyce and Lowdham in Notts. My driver sensibly wouldn't stop and let me investigate!
    Now I've seen the Vincent Wildlife Trust site I realise that it was probably a wild Polecat, due to the colouration. I had thought that they were starting to colonise counties like Staffordshire and Cheshire in their expansion from the North Wales stronghold, but apparently Notts started getting reports in the early 2000s and they've reached Lincolnshire and Norfolk! If anything like Ferrets (they are), it was probably quite niffy when freshly dead, so I won't be going back to check for a positive identification.

12boy and Gravity Aided like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice