Dead Badgers found whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There are no badgers on Mull and if there were they would probably get eaten by a Sea Eagle. This may sound fanciful but according to some experts much of the indigenous wildlife is being killed off including Golden Eagles. Even non experts are beginning to notice a decline in most species from rabbits to seabirds.

12boy

Guru
Here in Wyoming we got your raccoons, skunks the odd badger, fox and coyote and many deer and pronghorn antelope. Other places you add possums and armadillos. We got no hedgehogs but we does got porcupines. There can be turkeys, too, because the toms stop traffic and want to fight with cars. Snakes get run over on the bikeparhs because they like to warm up in the sun. Although harmless, a six foot bullsnake can be startling. Always sad to see dead wildlife, especially after hitting a deer has trashed your car.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Here in Wyoming we got your raccoons, skunks the odd badger, fox and coyote and many deer and pronghorn antelope. Other places you add possums and armadillos. We got no hedgehogs but we does got porcupines. There can be turkeys, too, because the toms stop traffic and want to fight with cars. Snakes get run over on the bikeparhs because they like to warm up in the sun. Although harmless, a six foot bullsnake can be startling. Always sad to see dead wildlife, especially after hitting a deer has trashed your car.
I have opossums, and occasional armadillosin my area. I think badgers carry bovine tuberculosis. Armadillos carry leprosy.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yesterday was a particularly graphic roadkill day. The Dorset Coast 200. Even living in nearby Somerset I haven’t ever seen so many dead animals. There was an injured partridge. I wanted to get to it to end its suffering but it was in an inaccessible field. Later on there was a roe deer that had been hit by a car and was writhing in agony. Head and torso injuries, wide eyes, braying in pain. It was very distressing for anyone who passed. I hope someone (a vet or gun owner) got to it quick. Poor animal.

I hate our car centric lifestyle.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
About a week ago I passed what I took to be a dead escaped Ferret between Burton Joyce and Lowdham in Notts. My driver sensibly wouldn't stop and let me investigate!
Now I've seen the Vincent Wildlife Trust site I realise that it was probably a wild Polecat, due to the colouration. I had thought that they were starting to colonise counties like Staffordshire and Cheshire in their expansion from the North Wales stronghold, but apparently Notts started getting reports in the early 2000s and they've reached Lincolnshire and Norfolk! If anything like Ferrets (they are), it was probably quite niffy when freshly dead, so I won't be going back to check for a positive identification.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
We had a great horned owl in our neighborhood last year, but somehow he got hit over on Route 66, I found him on the bike trail, in flying attitude. I called the State Fish and Wildlife, as he was banded. I was afraid that by the time he got gamey, the vultures would arrive. The vultures, or turkey buzzards, as they are called, live at the insurance company, doubtless attracted by the large cliff like buildings, and subtle irony.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Saw a friendly brock (alive) this morning. Thought it was a fox in the road ahead of me; I made noises so it knew I was coming; sure enough, it faced me and stopped. That's when I recognised it as a badger.
And then (of course) it panicked. If I drew an overhead plan of it's movements on the road, it might look like brownian motion. It also ran right in front of my front wheel.
God bless their clicky claws.

Top Bottom