Dead Garmin 1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
The rubber button on my Garmin Edge 1000 broke too and I wasn’t prepared to pay the £195 for a fixed price replacement so I did a rough and ready repair which seems to be holding out Linky

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
They've changed that :-( Mine flew off the bars two years ago and was crushed by traffic and they only charged that. Then last year on the LEJOG mine failed the same way as Mangid's they charged me circa £200 :-/

If they charged you £200, I wouldnt bother. Another £100 gets you a new or newer product with more warranty. Who do they think they are? Apple? Only apple can charge £800 to repair a 3-4year old laptop,

albal

Guru
The rubber button on my Garmin Edge 1000 broke too and I wasn’t prepared to pay the £195 for a fixed price replacement so I did a rough and ready repair which seems to be holding out Linky
Thanks for the link. I have opted to do the same . It's a broken piece of rubber. Is that worth £195? Don't think so. The replacement will not be another garmin.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They've changed that :-( Mine flew off the bars two years ago and was crushed by traffic and they only charged that. Then last year on the LEJOG mine failed the same way as Mangid's they charged me circa £200 :-/
Hmph. It was a bit too good to be true I suppose.

£200 is what? Half price? Three quarters? Depends on the model. For that you get a new unit, but no warranty. It's worth considering, but I'm not sure I'd go for it.

The £77 option - about a quarter of the price of a new Oregon - was a steal when I got mine. Especially as they upgraded it so I got a fancier unit that the one that I had damaged.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The £77 option - about a quarter of the price of a new Oregon - was a steal when I got mine. Especially as they upgraded it so I got a fancier unit that the one that I had damaged.

£77 to me is still kind of pushing it but i suppose if you really really really wanted to or had to keep your unit rather than retiring for a better one. it still leans on the scale as poor value for money. I would look on ebay to see how much a pre-owned unit is or put that £77 towards a pre-owned but well looked after unit.

Whatever makes more sense on the value for money scale, Just my personal opinion anyway.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
£77 to me is still kind of pushing it but i suppose if you really really really wanted to or had to keep your unit rather than retiring for a better one. it still leans on the scale as poor value for money. I would look on ebay to see how much a pre-owned unit is or put that £77 towards a pre-owned but well looked after unit.

Whatever makes more sense on the value for money scale, Just my personal opinion anyway.
Poor value for money?? £77 was an absolute steal for a brand new Oregon, albeit one with no warranty. They cost £300+.
:wacko:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Poor value for money?? £77 was an absolute steal for a brand new Oregon, albeit one with no warranty. They cost £300+.
:wacko:

I wasnt aware that they cost that much sorry. 100% worthwhile if they send you a new factory sealed unit back though. A lot of manufacturers just send back a refurbed unit though it will be in pretty good condition obviously.

Doobiesis

Über Member
My legal head comes out in threads like this. If the unit is under 5-years old you should claim your entire money back from the place you purchased it from. The law states, under the Sales of Goods Act 1979, that electrical items should last for five years as being fit for purpose.

I would be approaching the supplier and asking what their process is. Of course, once you start pulling it apart or bogding repairs, this isn’t relevant.

Top Bottom