(Deal now done)Tips Urgently needed on buying a cheapish used car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I’ve no knowledge and only my one recent experience to judge by but this surprises me.

I’ve had company cars for 40 years. Buying a car at retirement was a nervy experience, especially choosing a smaller vehicle than I had been used to. What I found was a huge range of low mileage vehicles from all manufacturers available at very competitive prices.

Eventually I settled on a Hyundai i30, two years old, 5000 miles, 3 year warranty for approximately £10,000 below the current new list price. I had a choice of 12 different i30s!!!

Why buy a new vehicle?

I got a mint unmarked in and out 06 reg, 62k miles, FFSH, one coffin dodging owner, always garaged Fusion for £700. It looks 2 years old, not 11.

Why buy new indeed!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Daft question maybe but how do I look at the radiator coolant ??
I think if you have to ask this, pay someone to look at it for you! :-)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Look for a hymn book in the glove compartment,. Indicates the previous owner was an old lady who just used it for going to church.
Failing that get a HPI history check.

screenman

Legendary Member
If people did not but new we would have even fewer used cars on the market, I sold a 13 year old Saxo a while back with only 13,000 miles.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know how toput coolant etc in the radiato
Some coolant recovery systems are pressurized and have a radiator pressure cap instead of a normal cap. Some older vehicles have no coolant reservoir, so to check and add coolant, you have to open the cap on the radiator.
How would I know which one applies ??

screenman

Legendary Member
Head gasket failures are very rare nowadays compared with 20 years ago.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I know how toput coolant etc in the radiato

Some coolant recovery systems are pressurized and have a radiator pressure cap instead of a normal cap. Some older vehicles have no coolant reservoir, so to check and add coolant, you have to open the cap on the radiator.
How would I know which one applies ??
Like Screenman says when its cool but really buying a second-hand car is full of pitfalls and not sure the coolant being the right colour would or should be a buy signal, if the dealer trades in this end he will know all the duck and dives anyway.

I hate buying cars!

sight-pin

Veteran
Look underneath to check for any oil leaks, Check the body panels and doors all align correctly (even gaps). Check the clutch, brake and throttle pedal rubbers for wear. Check for any sagging of the drivers seat compared to passengers (giving a clue for possible higher mileage than stated).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Google suggests that this model sometimes suffers from immobiliser faults - so make sure that it starts with all the keys (you should get at least two keys - I'd never buy a car that came without a spare key).

In addition to the sage advice already given, don't ever forget that it's a buyers market.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of other cars out there. If you're not 100% happy don't feel pressured into making a purchase, or buying simply so you've bought something.

Top Bottom