(Deal now done)Tips Urgently needed on buying a cheapish used car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Deal now done......many thanks for all the suggestions
For most of my working life I was fortunate enough to have new cars. Since retiring I have had newish cars.
My grandson has roped me into going with him to view an older car.........it will be his first one
Situation is...........
He asked me last night to go tomorrow..........no pressure there then :smile:
Car is from a established but small dealer (googled it and it seems to have good reports)
Car is a Hyundai i10 on a 60 plate......petrol & manual
Mileage is good............less than 30K
I think its claimed a one owner (will check that).
It is claimed to have a full service history (I will check that)
So................
Are there any obvious signs I need to look out for.
If its an established dealer is PPI an issue ?
What I need are some tips as to ........how do I check clutch wear/gear box etc..........ANYTHING like that.

Out of interest dealer is asking £2,900.00.
I believe the days of dealer having £100s to haggle with have gone...........is that true?
Thanks

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Haggle.
Offer him £2,500 and see where you go from there.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
My mechanic friend always looks at the colour of the radiator coolant - it should be clear (with blue tinge of anti-freeze).If not it's a possible sign of head gasket failure.

Jody

Stubborn git
What I need are some tips as to ........how do I check clutch wear/gear box etc..........ANYTHING like that.

Make sure the clutch pedal isn't at the top and the gear stick doesnt feel slack and waving all over the place. Smooth changes when cold, especially 1st to 2nd. Steer left to righ on the spot and listen for clunks or notchy feel. On the road make sure it feels tight and has no knocks.

Jody

Stubborn git
My mechanic friend always looks at the colour of the radiator coolant - it should be clear (with blue tinge of anti-freeze).If not it's a possible sign of head gasket failure.

What about cars that use pink coolant neat? There are more signs of a dodgy head gasket than the header tank.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Haggle.
Offer him £2,500 and see where you go from there.
As I say, I am told those days are gone so..............
I offer him £2,500 and he looks me straight in the eyes (possibly with tears forming) and says, "my friend, I would love to but there is absolutely no profit left". How do I know if he is telling the truth (apart from the fact he is a car salesman.........so that is an oxymoron).

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Daft question maybe but how do I look at the radiator coolant ??

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Price-wise that looks about right. You mention dealer - is it a Hyundai dealer or a general secondhand dealer?

Hyundai are good little cars.
general 2nd hand dealer.........seems to deal in the cheaper end of the market.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Watch out for a new dodge. Documentation Fee.
When I purchased a used car recently, they said, ‘And we only charge £49 Documentation Fee here. The other dealers locally ask £100’.

vickster

Legendary Member
general 2nd hand dealer.........seems to deal in the cheaper end of the market.
Ask him if he knows the history, eg the previous owner etc. Or did the car come from an auction

And get a full year warranty covering any eventuality, not just the standard 3 months (I think it is). And pay on a credit card for the additional cover

Levo-Lon

Guru
Price-wise that looks about right. You mention dealer - is it a Hyundai dealer or a general secondhand dealer?

Hyundai are good little cars.

Agreed, it should be fine and your buying from a dealer with a good reputation.
Perfect little car and you be fine with it.
Still check the tyres for tread as it should be on 2nd set at 30k so have a look.
Have a look at the gaps in the bodywork " all in line" and colour of panels etc for accident repairs. " Bumpers may look a slight shade different but thats not uncommon with plastic bumpers..all to do with the paint and substraights.
Over spray in door shuts and under the bonnet? Check it all looks factory finish.

Have a good look at the pedals and upholstery for wear " mileage can be clocked but wear isn't so easy to hide.
A good dealer will put you at ease with warranty and any service etc.

Last edited:
In your situation and I mean not very confident what your looking out for I would try to arrange another viewing and pay , I think wihout checking £99 for an RAC inspection, if it turns out a lemon you lose a £99 and not thousands, if its a nothing to hide dealer he shouldn't object.

you don't need to be an RAC member

same service offered by AA, green flag etc

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
In your situation and I mean not very confident what your looking out for I would try to arrange another viewing and pay , I think wihout checking £99 for an RAC inspection, if it turns out a lemon you lose a £99 and not thousands, if its a nothing to hide dealer he shouldn't object.

you don't need to be an RAC member

same service offered by AA, green flag etc
Thought of that and looked into it.
I am with GreenFlag but they do not offer that service.
Thanks

Jody

Stubborn git
As I say, I am told those days are gone so..............
I offer him £2,500 and he looks me straight in the eyes (possibly with tears forming) and says, "my friend, I would love to but there is absolutely no profit left". How do I know if he is telling the truth (apart from the fact he is a car salesman.........so that is an oxymoron).

He has about 6-800+ in a car of that range. You won't get 500 off it but it's a start point to let him bid you back up. You might chip 200 or so but it doesn't sound too bad at the price it's on for.

Top Bottom