Deaths when not using helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twobiker

You miss the point. The question was "if the car fails to protect you in the way it should based on NCAP rating". So do you sue NCAP for giving the car an incorrect rating or BMW for building a dud?
Having read their disclaimer, best of luck trying to sue.

If you bang your head against a brick wall and it doesn't hurt you may have some underlying medical condition, or you may just be to drunk. plus what sort of deity would stop you banging your head but would let you get squished helmet and all by a cement truck?.

Deities work in mysterious ways!

I think they could possibly have a small protective effect in some very limited situations - basically a stationary fall onto the head.
The risk of this happening is the same or lower as a pedestrian - absolutely tiny.
They are of absolutely no use at higher energy collisions.

So they are not worth wearing, for all of the negative effects we have already gone though.

The problem is that often we don't see the woods because they are obscured by the trees.

The concentration on helmets as an answer misdirects the efforts from areas that could be far more effective in reducing injuries (of all types) to cyclists.

The Australian compulsion is actually a very useful example.

Profesor Rissel from the University of Sidney has collated annual hospital data for head injuries resulting from cycling accidents from 1988 to 2008 and reported that :

"The most marked decrease in injuries occurred before mandatory helmet wearing was introduced in 1991.

Subsequent reductions in head injuries have occurred at a much lower rate and are not of the magnitude you'd expect from making all cyclists wear a helmet.’’

"The findings suggested the greatest reductions in head injuries resulting from cycling accidents came from improved road safety measures introduced before 1991 including lower speed limits, random breath testing and advertising"

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Haven't given it a moment of my time. Am not interested in the slightest TBH.

I'll have a pint of SA then please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom