Decent hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Hi all. Haven’t been around for a couple of years, but getting back on it. Long story short - used electric bike to get back into cycling at age 60, lost weight, gained fitness, bought pushbike with thought of moving away from electric as fitness improved, change of circs, weight came back on and almost stopped cycling.

Now I am 66, retired one year, massive diet/exercise push and I have lost huge amount of weight again and am much fitter. During lockdown, have been riding the electric bike a lot and loving it, and now thinking of moving back to exclusively muscle power again. My pushbike is a Carrera Subway 2 which is a nice bike, but with oversize tubes and fat tyres it is a bit of a lump. I’ve agreed to sell it to a friend so now I am looking for a replacement. Need advice, ideas, suggestions, please.

The bike will probably be a hybrid as my back doesn’t like drop handlebars and I prefer a fairly upright riding position. I’m looking for something that will ride well on the road and cope with the occasional gravel tracks. I’ll need a wide range of gears to cope with the hills round here, so it will likely be a triple. Fittings for mudguards and racks as I might like to add these later and go touring. I’m a massive fan of hydraulic disc brakes, so these would be a huge plus. Nice light weight and good looks would be a bonus. I’m currently 90kg and aiming for 75, and budget is £400-500. As an example, the Trek FX2 Disc seems to fit the bill, but any suggestions welcome.

AndyRM

XOXO
I was a big fan of my Cannondale Quick.

Slightly over budget, but worth the extra IMO - https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-quick-4-2020-hybrid-bike-EV360881

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I was a big fan of my Cannondale Quick.

Slightly over budget, but worth the extra IMO - https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-quick-4-2020-hybrid-bike-EV360881
That looks interesting, thanks. Bit concerned it’s only a 9-speed - some of the hills round me are quite big, and if I want to go anywhere I can’t avoid them! Lowest gear on the Subway is about 23” and I don’t use it often, but when I need it, I need it. Will investigate, cheers.
Might sound boring, but I'd probably start a search in Decaflon, and Halfuds as well, and if still looking after that, well dunno really :smile:
No Decathlon nearby, and I was hoping to go beyond the Halfords experience this time. I’ve just discovered there’s is a Trek dealer a few miles away (very small operation, which is why I overlooked them before) hence the FX2 idea.
The Trek FX2 looks excellent and fits your needs however with a national bike shortage the issue short term will be finding one.
Trek FX is a great bike will do what you want my wife loves hers.
Thanks for the info. I do like the look of the Trek very much, but on their website it is ‘unavailable, coming soon’. Not sure if that’s means it is a new model, or just an older model that’s out of stock.

National Bicycle Shortage? We live in strange times.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Bit concerned it’s only a 9-speed - some of the hills round me are quite big, and if I want to go anywhere I can’t avoid them! Lowest gear on the Subway is about 23” and I don’t use it often, but when I need it, I need it.
Duh. Just done the sums and the lowest ratio on the Cannondale is about 24”, so would be fine. I’ve not heard of microSHIFT gears, however. I think I’ve been on Shimano or Sun Tour ever since my 3-speed teenage bike. Any good?

AndyRM

XOXO
Duh. Just done the sums and the lowest ratio on the Cannondale is about 24”, so would be fine. I’ve not heard of microSHIFT gears, however. I think I’ve been on Shimano or Sun Tour ever since my 3-speed teenage bike. Any good?

I had no complaints. I remember the paddles being quite small could be tricky with thick gloves, but I do have massive hands which is also a factor.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
call the local Trek dealer and ask what they have?
Give local trek dealer a ring i've always found them to helpful.
I will certainly be ringing round the dealers when I have a better idea of what I want. I was really posting here to get some ideas and recommendations.
I had no complaints. I remember the paddles being quite small could be tricky with thick gloves, but I do have massive hands which is also a factor.
Thanks for this. I have large hands too. I’m not too keen on the finger-and-thumb type of shifters, as the finger bit under the brake lever always seems to be in the way. But that’s probably my hands at fault. The best shifters I have used are the Shimano GS100 on my 90s Raleigh. They have two thumb levers, one over the other. Apparently they weren’t popular as they confused people, but I find them by far the easiest to use. But microSHIFT are a completely new name to me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In the current climate it’s more a case of what is available rather than what you want unfortunately so I would see what’s out there and then decide.
At that price point there really isn’t much to differentiate between the various models other than wider or narrower tyres plus other minor points. Hydraulic discs would be good if offered.
See: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-tried-to-buy-a-new-bike-recently.262044/

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks for this. I have large hands too. I’m not too keen on the finger-and-thumb type of shifters, as the finger bit under the brake lever always seems to be in the way. But that’s probably my hands at fault. The best shifters I have used are the Shimano GS100 on my 90s Raleigh. They have two thumb levers, one over the other. Apparently they weren’t popular as they confused people, but I find them by far the easiest to use. But microSHIFT are a completely new name to me.

They've only been around for 20 or so years, based in Taiwan which explains why their kit appears on Cannondale bikes. I'm not sure I've seen it used by other brands. My personal preference is Campagnolo kit, but I've yet to come across shifters I couldn't get on with (on 'proper' bikes at least).

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
We’ll, this is disappointing! I have done web searches for both the Trek and Cannondale, and EVERYWHERE is out of stock for the foreseeable. I hadn’t realised there was a shortage. I’ll keep looking, as I haven’t exhausted all the options yet, but as I have promised the Carrera to a mate, it looks like I will be tooling round on the old Amazon for a while yet. Good thing I gave it a thorough refurb last year.

Top Bottom