Deep Heat, Is it useful for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Yesterday morning i woke up feeling somewhat under the weather. My neck was stiff and really painful and my right arm was aching with the old shooting pains going through it. The way it feels, i think I've trapped a nerve or something.
Yesterday's cycling was begrudgingly put off, which I'm not to impressed about, as the weather has improved after what seems to be of weeks of bad weather.
Last night i hardly got any sleep because of the discomfort so a trip down to the shops this morning to buy some Deep Heat spray was in order.
A quick spray over my neck and shoulder has virtually chased the pain away. (result :=)
The smell of it certainly brings back memories of my old time trailing day's of the past which i had all but forgotten about. Back in the 80s when i was a young whippersnapper i used to enjoy doing the weekly 10 tt and the air before tt was always filled with the smell of Deep Heat. Now I'm older I'm starting to think whether i should start using this stuff more often. With age, aches and pains are becoming more common in my joints which often jade my enthusiasm to get out there on my bike.
All the very best,
Johnny

midlife

Guru
Yep, that smell of embrocation in the lay by near the starting line :smile:. Nowadays it's a couple of ibuprofen. Can't remember the name of the "embro" off the top of my head, wasn't deep heat though.

Sharky

Guru
Yep, that smell of embrocation in the lay by near the starting line :smile:. Nowadays it's a couple of ibuprofen. Can't remember the name of the "embro" off the top of my head, wasn't deep heat though.
Think I used to use "transvasin" and "Radian Massage" creams

midlife

Guru
Just had a look at a 1975 Holdsworth cycling aids and they advertise Bikit embrocation, also note that on the page before they sell Accolade, horrible green powder with salt and sugar. I can now taste that as well as smell the embro! I wonder why it's possible to remember a smell?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just had a look at a 1975 Holdsworth cycling aids and they advertise Bikit embrocation, also note that on the page before they sell Accolade, horrible green powder with salt and sugar. I can now taste that as well as smell the embro! I wonder why it's possible to remember a smell?

The sense of smell is closely linked with memory and emotion. Your nose is probably far more sensitive and discriminating than you realise, you just don't practice smelling like a perfumer does.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to use embrocation before TT's that had the consistency of grease. Bright red, came in a tub, smelt wonderful. Gave you red legs. Needed a home brew mix of water and cheap aftershave to strip it off your legs - including half the insect life in the area.

Moved to tubes of deep heat as it was easier to get.

Capsicum cream is supposed to be great for pain relief - it irritates the skin bringing more blood to the surface, which blocks the pain signals - much like deep heat, but it's stronger.

Use volterol 12 hour gel

I'll 2nd that - I use it for my knees if they are hurting a little and it works wonders. I put some on before a hard ride too. Might be just in my mind, but it certainly works for me.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I just got back from a 35 mile ride. My neck and shoulder muscles were really painful when i got back. After a good spray of deep heat its now subsided to more tolerable levels. The ride was ok but i felt uncomfortable not being able to look over my shoulder freely to check traffic conditions. It was an effort to do and wasn't really confidence inspiring out on the road. I also gave my knees a quick squirt of Deep Heat spray after the ride, and they really feel good now 😁

vickster

Legendary Member
I just got back from a 35 mile ride. My neck and shoulder muscles were really painful when i got back. After a good spray of deep heat its now subsided to more tolerable levels. The ride was ok but i felt uncomfortable not being able to look over my shoulder freely to check traffic conditions. It was an effort to do and wasn't really confidence inspiring out on the road. I also gave my knees a quick squirt of Deep Heat spray after the ride, and they really feel good now 😁
Are you doing proper stretches after riding if you're getting pains after riding...and is your bike set up right?

The deep heat won't be addressing the cause

Top Bottom