Definitely buying next bike from my LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today my bike became virtually un-rideable due to slipping drivetrain and it kept dropping gears (The dropped gears were due to adjustment needed after having brifters fitted couple of months ago) I asked my LBS if they could fit me in for a service. he explained that he was stacked out with repairs (good news for him but not so good for me) so I explained my exact problems and asked if I could purchase a new chain and fit it myself and would it help. He felt probably not as the back cog could be badly worn. so he said he could manage to fit that in today.....

So for 30 quid he fitted a new chain and rear 7 speed cassette and adjusted the gears, and I once again enjoyed my commute home and only had to swear at drivers not my bike (even though I should have changed the chain sooner so my fault really not bikes)

I have discussed upgrading towards the end of the year to a new bike and he has offered me good deal when I'm ready. And I feel after all his help if I buy from anywhere else the first time it went wrong he would have a perfect right to tell me to go forth and multiply.

Good LBS's are a godsend and should be cherished if you find one

fullcycle

LBS staff gave that priceless extra bit of knowledge and will put that extra bit of time and care into things. Always great to have places like this close by

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I make most of my cycling goods purchased from my LBS. Although at times I can get goods cheaper online, my loyalty is repaid with favours, discounts and free sensible advice which more than covers the occasional premium. The staff at the LBS treat every customer equally well whether they are buying an inner tube or a north of stupid priced carbon dream machine.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I try to buy most things from them, my main LBS is at the work end of my commute (next town) so if I need anything on a day off I use a couple near me which whilst pretty good they are nowhere near the standard of my work based one

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Today my bike became virtually un-rideable due to slipping drivetrain and it kept dropping gears (The dropped gears were due to adjustment needed after having brifters fitted couple of months ago) I asked my LBS if they could fit me in for a service. he explained that he was stacked out with repairs (good news for him but not so good for me) so I explained my exact problems and asked if I could purchase a new chain and fit it myself and would it help. He felt probably not as the back cog could be badly worn. so he said he could manage to fit that in today.....

So for 30 quid he fitted a new chain and rear 7 speed cassette and adjusted the gears, and I once again enjoyed my commute home and only had to swear at drivers not my bike (even though I should have changed the chain sooner so my fault really not bikes)

I have discussed upgrading towards the end of the year to a new bike and he has offered me good deal when I'm ready. And I feel after all his help if I buy from anywhere else the first time it went wrong he would have a perfect right to tell me to go forth and multiply.

Good LBS's are a godsend and should be cherished if you find one

That was a bargain. good service deserves a bit of support. Problem is small shops may not be able to buy bikes much cheaper than you can .I dont mind paying a bit more to support a local shop but if theres a big saving to be made I cant allways justify it.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I'm thinking of a Giant and the online price seems about the same as LBS even if 30 quid in it worth it for build and free first service

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my lbs are fantastic and very helpful , and also not a lot more expensive than on line for day to day stuff .

and advice is always free

Chris-H

Über Member
I decided to treat the Mrs to a new town bike the other day and after my lbs always supplying me with empty bike boxes when i sell a bike i thought the favour was well over due.I had a sneaky peek in Halfords to see what they had in and the only one i would consider was the Vicky Pendleton,however the arrogance of the staff when i asked about frame size made my mind up for me,off to the lbs,a 10 minute chat discussing the pro's and cons of a few bikes resulted in grabbing an Ammaco Cosmopolitan,now i've always shuddered at the mention of Ammaco but after the reassurance of the manager i put my faith in him.A full check on the bike and i was loading it into the car,even better was the £160 reduction in rrp.When i got it home i suprised the mrs big time as she thought i went out to buy some pedals.I now have an extremel happy mrs who absolutely loves her new bike and new found faith in using my LBS.Plus a free 6 week service,all for £200.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most LBSs are family businesses, which is a pretty good reason to support them at least for major purchases like bikes.

wisdom

Guru
Bought my last two bikes new from our LBS.They have been excellent with 6 monthly free checks on both bikes.They usually knock a bit off whenever i get anything from them(lube etc)Nice to support them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just make sure you tell the LBS in question a time frame when taking in any repairs, they may be good but once i took a bike in for a wheel rebuild when i was off work for 2 weeks and told them it was not desperate and it got put to one side and the shop and forgot about .
Given the excellent service i have received over the years ranging from free grease when buying bearings, free tweaks when i have popped in etc i would recommend the shop and if our company used their brand of C2W i would use them ( as it happens we are tied to halfords c2w )

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I bought my last two bikes from my LBS ... and enjoyed the bike and excellent service, not sure whether the next one will be from them or not - the only problem is the restriction as to the makes they stock - so basically Giant and Dawes on the whole. But I use a combination of them and on-line for purchases, and they often try to fit me in if I need some work doing on the bike. Several times on the day I've taken it in to enquire when they could do an emergency repair. Lots of good advice too. Only problem is having moved house they aren't local any more:sad: not that I won't use them - just not so convenient for those quick fixes or shopping needs.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Just make sure you tell the LBS in question a time frame when taking in any repairs, they may be good but once i took a bike in for a wheel rebuild when i was off work for 2 weeks and told them it was not desperate and it got put to one side and the shop and forgot about .
Given the excellent service i have received over the years ranging from free grease when buying bearings, free tweaks when i have popped in etc i would recommend the shop and if our company used their brand of C2W i would use them ( as it happens we are tied to halfords c2w )
I understand what you are saying he did say a full service couldn't be done for a week or 2 but as I work 50 yards away its hard for him to forget about me and my bike...

fossala

Guru
I buy things once in a while from my lbs (well not my lbs, but one 16 miles away). My local one seem to be so far up their own arse and try to con you out of every penny in your wallet.

Ningishzidda

When I walk into my LBS, he smiles. He's probably going to say "I've got a wheel that needs trueing, and haven't got time. Could you just,,,,"

Now I buy most stuff from CRC or Ribble.

Top Bottom