Descent advice for sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I recently scoped out the route for an upcoming sportive I will be entering (my first large group ride), which includes what seems to me to be a ludicrously steep descent. Going down solo was definitely as hair-raising an experience as I'd like to undergo on two wheels, and I'm not sure I feel at all comfortable about the prospect of descending in an unknown group of other riders.

At the moment I feel I have three options:

1) Get off and walk down - probably safest, but least satisfying
2) Jam on both brakes and take things as slow as I can - safe on a solo ride, but not sure about this with other riders zipping along from behind
3) Stick with the pack - simplest, but I'm not confident about this (it doesn't help that I am riding a 1960s bike with 1960s brakes)

Would be great to hear if anyone has any advice on the best way to tackle this, or if anyone's had a similar experience.

Thanks for your help!

ps - If anyone's interested, the descent in question is Peak Hill Road, heading into Sidmouth (Devon). On checking the OS map at home, it's marked with a triple(!) chevron - I haven't put the route it into any mapping software yet, but I guess it must be slightly in excess of a 20% gradient in sections, with some pretty sharp corners

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Get at the front and spin out , then tuck in and leave those other suckers behind :thumbsup:
P.S . Keep at least one eye open at all times .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Take it at whatever speed you feel comfortable. You won't get a medal for getting to the bottom first it isn't a road race.

I would avoid jamming the anchors on half way down the hill and try to hold a constant line and be aware of other riders around you. Other riders may treat it like a race.

Most of all enjoy the ride.

Hip Priest

Veteran
4. Learn how to ride a bike...

323377.jpg

RebornBumbler

Get down into the drops
Sit well back in the saddle
Brake as heavily as you want to - but only on the straights
Ignore anything/everything behind you
Pick your line round the corners and try to stick to it
Pay attention to the surface - especially water and gravel
Shout Wheeeeeeee! all the way down :smile:

NorvernRob

Just because it's a Sportive it doesn't mean you'll be in a group at that point, I did one a few weeks ago and rarely had more than 5 or 6 other riders around us at any point. The vast majority of the time it was just me and a mate either passing others or having others pass us. It's surprising how 500+ riders spread out.

Tim Hall

ps - If anyone's interested, the descent in question is Peak Hill Road, heading into Sidmouth (Devon). On checking the OS map at home, it's marked with a triple(!) chevron - I haven't put the route it into any mapping software yet, but I guess it must be slightly in excess of a 20% gradient in sections, with some pretty sharp corners

No it's not a triple chevron, on account of they don't exist. It's a double chevron, then a bit later a single chevron. Anyhoo, go down at your own pace. If other people want to go faster, let them go. Take something positive from this - you're not having to ride up it.

Crankarm

Guru
1960s bike with 1960s brakes you say……………….. I hope you have replaced the brake cables and blocks and have good rims on it as modern road bikes stop and handle so much better than a 1960s bike ever could. Are you an elderly participant by any chance? I would suggest you ride some where near the back or with those of similar ability, choice of machine and experience. Have a safe and enjoyable ride.

MikeG

Guru
4. Learn how to ride a bike...

Really? At the very least you could learn some subtlety.

Have you ever thought that not everyone has the same level of equipment as you? And that some people have physical difficulties braking? My wife, for instance, has such small hands that she physically can't get any decent leverage on the brake levers, and a descent like this would be a nightmare for her. There is no way that she could slow the bike enough to have that descent under control. The OP said his bike has inferior brakes.

Sociopathy: a personality disorder characterized by.....diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just had a look at it on Google Maps....hmmmm....I wanna do that descent (although maybe not the climb that precedes it). Looks a great route and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

By the look of things it is the first bit of the decent that is tricky, after that it opens out with good sight lines and not too steep. Take it easy on the steep bit at the top, let the nutters like me whizz past, then relax a bit and coast down the lower slopes

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks a lot for all the feedback, guys, some useful advice (and encouragement ;)) here.

1960s bike with 1960s brakes you say……………….. I hope you have replaced the brake cables and blocks and have good rims on it as modern road bikes stop and handle so much better than a 1960s bike ever could.

The brakes are the original Mafac racers, and the rims are goodness knows how old too, so even with decent new pads there really is very little stopping power! However, I'd like to keep the calipers and rims the original, since it's quite a nice vintage bike, and the brakes haven't given me trouble on any other descent yet.

Just because it's a Sportive it doesn't mean you'll be in a group at that point, I did one a few weeks ago and rarely had more than 5 or 6 other riders around us at any point. The vast majority of the time it was just me and a mate either passing others or having others pass us. It's surprising how 500+ riders spread out.

This is really encouraging, thanks for the tip. If the pack has opened up before the hill, then I should be fine with going down at my own sweet pace - guess I will just wait my turn at the top to get a clear run down. Otherwise I feel like I would still be pushing my luck a little cycling in a group of more-able-to-stop riders.

Just had a look at it on Google Maps....hmmmm....I wanna do that descent (although maybe not the climb that precedes it). Looks a great route and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The route itself is gorgeous, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go, if you're local. The climb to get up there's not so bad either, it's much less steep than on the way down.

No it's not a triple chevron, on account of they don't exist. It's a double chevron, then a bit later a single chevron. Anyhoo, go down at your own pace. If other people want to go faster, let them go. Take something positive from this - you're not having to ride up it.

Ah, that makes sense - thought I'd never seen a triple chevron before. The ironic thing is, I *did* have to cycle up that damn hill (and then go down it again), since on the first hectic descent my precious banana case fell out of my jersey pocket! D'oh! Will have to secure that one a little more safely next time around!

Shout Wheeeeeeee! all the way down :smile:

Haha, yeah - except I think it's gonna start more like "SHIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiii....."

Top Bottom