Diary of a smoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The chest tightening is indeed the lungs starting to clear themselves. Once I had given up I spent about the next six weeks coughing up what appeared to be a large tabby cat in small portions. ......
Your incentive bike purchase is a fantastic idea (apart from the fact it's a Trek :evil:) but best of all will be the fact that you will be able to ride it with the benefit of oxygen on board.

Your first day back at work will have shown you that you are no longer enslaved..... forced to huddle outside with the rest of the lepers. This was one of the biggest and most surprising benefits for me... we had no outdoor smoking area, and I had to put a coat on over my uniform and walk at least a block away from the station to have a smoke.

Other health benefits... I used to get a cold, then it went onto my chest, then I had catarrh for about three weeks. I reckon I would get a cold every two months or so. I gave up 30 months ago, and haven't had more than a bit of a sniffle since I gave up. What could be described as a cold has been a bit of a runny nose for 24 hours,, then nothing. My overall health has improved.

The sour taste is a typical symptom. My dentist explained it was a change in the acidity balance, and lasts for about 8 weeks (though it does diminish) try chewing a bit of gum.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
ok, day 4

No problems this morning, in fact i get to lay in bed another 5 mins due to the fact that i used to roll a load of smokes and put them in a baccy tin to save me rolling them during the day. Luckily, dont need to now, although drinking the first coffee of the day is a bit strange not standing outside (i never smoked indoors) even in the rain or cold. I would have probably found it harder in the summer when the weathers better.

Most of the day, no problems, either had a drink of water or bit of the mouthspray, but tbh not used the spray that much.

By far the most difficult is just after tea, when i would normally slope off to the garage for a coffee and a smoke. The funny thing is i dont think its the nicotine, just the habit / routine, so i just thought no way im not going. 5 mins and it had passed. Its strange as i think its 60% nicotine and 40% habit.

Anyways, still an ex smoker^_^

TVC

Good news.

Your body will be completely Carbon Monoxide free by now - excellent! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I stopped I still hung around the back entrance of the works on a regular basis, because, it turns out all the people in the factory I'd become mates with were all still smokers - giving up hanging round with them several times a day was weird.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Good news.

Your body will be completely Carbon Monoxide free by now - excellent! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I stopped I still hung around the back entrance of the works on a regular basis, because, it turns out all the people in the factory I'd become mates with were all still smokers - giving up hanging round with them several times a day was weird.

I bet that was hard tho, all the smoke / smell in the air ?

TVC

I bet that was hard tho, all the smoke / smell in the air ?

The smell and the smoke just helped reaffirm that I'd done the right thing. Now I shudder to think that I used to stink like them.

Bayerd

Über Member
Good news.

That was the hardest part for me when I quit nearly 7 years ago, keeping away from mates who were off for a smoke. After about 3 weeks I could join them and resist, even though I got the odd craving.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I now have to walk past a huddle of smokers lepers outside the door to some council offices in a multi-storey car park. I can no longer stand the smell, but I don't half feel smug.

I occasionally miss the craic that was associated the smokers' group, but this evening as I was going home I went past a bar with the smoking area at the front. There was a guy in a goretex jacket, pint in hand, struggling to draw on his fag due to the gale force wind blowing rain at him.

By now Peteaud I reckon you'll be starting to feel the real oxygen rush. A small word of warning though. I used to go straight from the last mouthful of my main course to the garage and baccy pouch. Now I fill the time after a meal by eating a pudding. I was never a pudding person before. Now I am a confirmed fan.

Well done Pete. Keep on talking as I have pointed others to this thread as a good example of 'how to stop' - your good deeds will result in an expotential sale of bikes as due reward So, not only have you got us in full support, you have bike shop proprietors rubbing their hands in anticipation.
Just try and avoid circus films and stuff - where the shouts of "roll up, roll up" might make you think of your past!:smile:

Good luck - keep on going - the desire for a roll up WILL go away I promise!

I used to smoke roll ups, varying amounts per day, and always "wanted" to quit. I went on a skiing holiday with a friend who also smoked them, but at what I’d call a professional level (a couple before breakfast, one during etc – he even managed two per ski lift!) Anyway, we drove from London to his house in the middle of France for a few days and then on to the Alps for a week of skiing and then drove back to London. I kept up with his smoking pretty much on a 1 to 1 basis, which was about 3 or 4 times as much as I was used to.
As I dropped him off back home I can remember stubbing out the last roll up and feeling totally and utterly sick (nicotine poisoning?) Decided there and then never again – the next few days were actually very enjoyable – had a few cravings at certain times (ie down the pub) but just kept on thinking of how sick I felt when I did smoke.
Now, on average, I probably feel like a smoke for about 30 seconds twice a year, which I can live with….

Top Bottom