Diary of a smoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Petaud, just a small thought, you refer to packing in the fags as 'giving up' like you would give up sex or cream cakes. However if instead of saying 'giving up' use 'stopping' because you are actually quitting a nasty, dangerous, smelly, expensive and controlling habit you no longer want.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Never smoked myself, but there was this lovely Spanish girl who did and I used to steal her cigarettes and only offer them back to her one at a time in return for a kiss. She eventually quit smoking all together! :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Trust me, ive gone nowhere in the last god knows how many years with out fags, the last few years ive rolled my own, so that meant a pack of baccy, a tin of papers and filters and a lighter everywhere i went, even out on the bike.

I could not go anywhere, and if the baccy was getting low i had panic attacks of running out. and i am not joking either.

Screw that, i am not going to let it get that a hold on me any more.

I want a £1000 MTB, if i stop smoking for 1 year its mine, end of story. Think about something you want, something the fag money will get spent on, put a pic in your wallet,put a pic in the house shed of whatever, now, what would rather have, a smoke or whats on the pic.

Thats whats getting me through, and posting on here.

If you want to give up, join me, we will do it together on here.

What a cracking incentive... go for it Pete. Would love to see you manage this. :thumbsup:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Winning the TDF is no big deal, get on bike, go faster than everyone else, job done.

You need years of dedication, training and competition to win the TDF and there's only one winner a year, two if there's a disqualification.

Everyone can stop smoking in an instant - if they really want to and everyone who does so is a winner.

There's no comparison really. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
What a cracking incentive... go for it Pete. Would love to see you manage this. :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

£20 a week fag money x 52 weeks

Trek_6500_Disc.jpg

THIS WILL BE MINE.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many thanks.

Trek_6500_Disc.jpg

THIS WILL BE MINE.
OH YES!!! :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

Trek_6500_Disc.jpg

THIS WILL BE MINE.
Try for it on interest free credit now and repay the money - you'll still get the thrill of buying 'something' and have the pleasure now! :smile: Good luck - it must be hard. I bought a (well specced) Decathlon Rockrider 8.0 MTB on 31st December...it's enough to make me want to take up smoking it's so flippin' s-l-o-w!
Good luck.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Try for it on interest free credit now and repay the money - you'll still get the thrill of buying 'something' and have the pleasure now! :smile: Good luck - it must be hard. I bought a (well specced) Decathlon Rockrider 8.0 MTB on 31st December...it's enough to make me want to take up smoking it's so flippin' s-l-o-w!
Good luck.

If I were you I'd hold out for your prize when you have really achieved the goal. It's part of the incentive. It's hard and when you've done it that's when the rewards should come.

You're doing well. I sucked pear drops until they stripped all the skin off my tongue, this was before the days of gum and patches. Start to think of yourself as a non-smoker (the best you will ever be is an ex-smoker) and allow yourself a little well hidden contempt for those who are not a strong as you and are still puffing away on the foul weed.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
If I were you I'd hold out for your prize when you have really achieved the goal. It's part of the incentive. It's hard and when you've done it that's when the rewards should come.

You're doing well. I sucked pear drops until they stripped all the skin off my tongue, this was before the days of gum and patches. Start to think of yourself as a non-smoker (the best you will ever be is an ex-smoker) and allow yourself a little well hidden contempt for those who are not a strong as you and are still puffing away on the foul weed.

I have a pic of that bike on the garage wall as motivation so it has to be done right with no cheating so it will only be mine in a years time as a reward to myself.

Had a big roast dinner tonight and the craving for a smoke was pretty bad after that but it passed after a few mins.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a pic of that bike on the garage wall as motivation so it has to be done right with no cheating so it will only be mine in a years time as a reward to myself.

That's exactly what I did, and it really helped. I knew I was spending £4.50 a day on smoking. I had my eye on a Specialized Secteur Elite and started adding to my virtual piggybank the day I stopped smoking. After 3 months I had £400 to play with. The winter sales had my coverted coveted bike on offer at £700.

I caved in and bought the bike feeling very guilty. The guilt was so great that I really couldn't go back to smoking after such shameful extravagance.:thumbsup:

Edit: terrible spelling. Sorry.

Top Bottom