Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Haven't had it that long but so far I am very pleased with it. Evans sold it to me and I have had no problems at all. I have changed the saddle to a well used sprung Brooks (B66 type) and shortened the bars. It's very quiet, the gears are slick with a reasonably spaced range over the 8 speeds, more than adequate for a fairly flat city like York. Braking is fine with a disc front, drum rear. Handling is stable, it tracks round corners very confidently without the twitchiness of a racer, which is reassuring when you're concentrating on the traffic! I also find the upright sitting position makes it easier to look behind when necessary. Downsides are that you can pay a lot less for a bike (it does look like a quality machine, tho), and it came only in grey!

Norm

Thanks, oh indomitable Gaulois.
Asterix.gif
:giggle:
... and it came only in grey!
I quite like the grey, although I'm not so sure about the bump-strips on the top tube.

Cyclist33

I bucked the trend and switched from drops back to flats. Everyone says, "once you go to drops you never go back" - but I didn't find them comfortable and I didn't find a billion extra hand positions and since getting my lower-geared flatbar road hybrid, my average speed over say a 20 mile ride has gone up by about 1mph and it's definitely not my fitness that's better!

Viva le flatbar!

Stu

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I've gone the other way and far from switching from flatties to drops, i've put on a pair of 8" rise (light weight alloy) BMX bars. There are reasons. I do suffer from a couple of acute medical problems, which as the years roll on, aint gettin no betta, so when I ride, I ride relativley slowly. The highrise bars give me a much more upright position from which to view my surroundings and enjoy the pheasnts in the fields, rabbits in the meadows and the bull rumping his herd. I have to say, my choice has been adopted by several of my friends and neighbours, who I have done the conversions for. Admittedly, they are only sunny sunday summer afternoon riders, but they all say how much more comfortable they find the set up than thier old flat bars. I understand that it wouldnt suit distance/speed orientated bikes BUT , it is another option.

Sellyb

Newby here....I started with a brand new hybrid 3 weeks ago, did my first sportive, found myself feeling really competitive, and now have a road bike on order...gulp! I love my hybrid, though, and think I will use that for the less serious rides.

simon.r

Person
Brilliant, love it, why didn't I think of that. Hope you've got good co-ordination!

It's not mine! One of the late great Sheldon's : http://sheldonbrown.org/thorn/index.html

Well worth bookmarking his site, it's a mine of all sorts of useful information and bicyle related oddities.http://sheldonbrown.org/thorn/index.html

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
:excl: NOW THATS WOT I CALL THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX. FANTASTIC BIT OF INGENUITY. The whole set up looks as though you have alot of unique features. I've never heard of the THORN brand. A googling I will go.:thumbsup: I'd be interested in any details or other pics you feel you wanna share.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
In the time it took me to write my last post you have told the world that its one of Sheldons. I am familiar with his data logs and helpful hints but I have never seen any other stuff from him. Somewhere else for me to go and have a look .

simon.r

Person
I do own a Thorn, but the set up is nothing like that one!

I think they're SJS Cycles own brand. Another site worth taking a gander at.

This one's mine:

s40z0j.jpg

Please forgive the somewhat 'cobbled together' look:smile: It's a 'bitsa', but it works!

Mike!

Guru
Having tried drops, finding it uncomfortable and switching to flats I'm now back on drops!

After trying again and realising I originally brought something to big for me (and was too stretched) I'm very comfortable and faster on all journeys, headwinds are just much easier!

Randochap

Senior hunter
Other than my very first bike, I've always used drops/maes. I've built/owned a couple of "town' bikes with straight bars over the years and am about to create another for putzing around, shopping, etc.. For anything over a few kilometres though the benefits--less wind resistance, multiple hand positions--of drops outweigh any other consideration.

Top Bottom