Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
First bike was a Raleigh Grifter, then had a MTB that weighed a ton but when I was 14 it didn't matter - me and my mate used to cover miles on it. In my adulthood I had a Carrera Vulcan for off-road, but ditched it because I preferred road riding and it was just too heavy. Still got flat bars though, but wishing now I got a road bike instead of an electric one. The riding position always put me off drops because I get a bad back if I lean forward for too long.

AndyRM

XOXO
When I started 'properly' cycling 2 years ago, I bought a flat bar hybrid, which has been barely ridden since I got a bike with drops.

Steve at Tern

Regular
There's obviously a multitude of views here. Personally I prefer the different hand position options that drop bars give, especially the ones where the palms are parallel to to the frame, rather than along the bars (does that make sense?)
I must admit to not having read all the replies, but has anybody raised the point that you can get almost the same effect with bar ends? If flat bars are your thing, especially with thick shock-absorbing grips, then bar ends offer a useful extension to the number of hand positions available.
As far as performance is concerned, new flat-bar road bikes offer plenty - and ranges such as the Giant Rapid come with bar-ends already fitted.
Just a thought.

Broadside

Guru
Nope there is far more to it than that. You need the bars, possibly a new stem as the existing one is unlikely to be the right length when converting to drops. Then you also need STI shifters which are the expensive bit at around £90 for the cheapest Shimano. Then you may need new gear and take cables if the old ones are too short and then bar tape to finish it all off.

I am just about to do this job for a friend, will be around £190 for all new parts, cheaper if you can pick some up second hand. On my friends bike I also need to convert to road caliper brakes as she currently has v brakes which I am not expecting to work with the STI shifters due to differing cable pull amounts.

bazhef

Nope there is far more to it than that. You need the bars, possibly a new stem as the existing one is unlikely to be the right length when converting to drops. Then you also need STI shifters which are the expensive bit at around £90 for the cheapest Shimano. Then you may need new gear and take cables if the old ones are too short and then bar tape to finish it all off.

I am just about to do this job for a friend, will be around £190 for all new parts, cheaper if you can pick some up second hand. On my friends bike I also need to convert to road caliper brakes as she currently has v brakes which I am not expecting to work with the STI shifters due to differing cable pull amounts.

Ok i get it.
But i know technically you are meant to change to STI shifters but can you not just fit the bar with the drop handles and keep your standard brake levers on the main bar?
I'm not going to be spending that sort of money on changing things when all im really looking is for extensions at the end of my bar to grip when climbing hills or when picking up the pace on a flat bit of road.
This may be sacrilege to some of you but i'm new to cycling and looking initially to do things as cheaply as possible before moving on in time to a better bike.

simon.r

Person
I'm not going to be spending that sort of money on changing things when all im really looking is for extensions at the end of my bar to grip when climbing hills or when picking up the pace on a flat bit of road.
This may be sacrilege to some of you but i'm new to cycling and looking initially to do things as cheaply as possible before moving on in time to a better bike.

Not being sarcastic here, but are you aware of bar ends?

To add drops to straight bars

A half way house

Traditional MTB style bar ends

There are numerous shapes and sizes available, If all you're looking for is 'extensions' they'd do the job.

bazhef

Not being sarcastic here, but are you aware of bar ends?

To add drops to straight bars

A half way house

Traditional MTB style bar ends

There are numerous shapes and sizes available, If all you're looking for is 'extensions' they'd do the job.

I was aware of the bull bar types but not of drop bar ends, which is what i was asking about them being a possibility.
I'll maybe have a closer look at them.
I take it there isn't such a thing that would have an all in one, bull bar and drop bar end attachment???
Or maybe that is just being ridiculous!!
Thanks!

ELPTX51

I just got back into cycling last year on a Cannondale mountain bike after a 30 year break. After riding trails and roads for the last year I've decided a "proper" road bike is needed to do the miles I'm starting to crave. I pick up my 2012 Giant Defy 1 tomorrow (after fitting) and I'm sure I'll spend the weekend on the roads of extreme west Texas learning and getting used to the drop bars. My question is how hard will it be to switch back and forth between the handle bar styles of the MTB and the endurance road bike? Yes this is the beginning of my N+1 phase of cycling!

Top Bottom