Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

I have 2 drop bar bikes. Having sold a couple of mtb's .... I'm now hankering for N + 1 .... A nice fast flat bar hybrid.
Nice to have something i can pootle along on and occasionally go on paths,off road etc

NickJ95GB

I bought my first road bike today, and it is incredible. it's a B'Twin Triban 3, and is flawless. if you're considering buying this bike, go for it. staff were very helpful, bike had loads of sizes, different handlebar types, came with lights, bell, discounts on other things bought with the bike, £6 off next purchase. bike is incredibly light and smooth. upgraded from a 17.5kg Elswick hybrid bike and difference is huge. i averaged about 12 maybe 13 (complete guess) on the Elswick, and today i did 0.7 miles quickly to get a feel for it, without even trying at all, and with no breakfast i had 18.00 on the odometer. i find the drops make you lean forward quite a lot, and will definitely beef up your arms after a while, and i love the gears on drops, too, so smooth and cool to use.

Erudin

Veteran
....I've got on with it a lot better than I thought. I tend to ride on the hoods most of the time but the drops are far in a headwind. Ideally I would like another hand position on them though and have wondered if it's possible to attach a pair of bar ends in a sort of 45degree upright/forward position???...

If you find you seldom ride in the drops, maybe consider raising the bars so you can get more positions and greater comfort. Put the drops close to where the hoods position is now. I use compact drops raised high on a couple of bikes I use off-road. The stem in the first pic is a Humpert High Charisma, the second pic is a Surly LHT with uncut fork and 7.5 cm of spacers.

img_0946 (400 x 300).jpg
img_0958 (400 x 300).jpg

Stevie Mcluskey

Über Member
I'm using my flatbar for commuting but after the sale of my motorbike :cry: just recently i have treated myself to a new road bike. Only done around 30 miles on it as hoping to keep it nice and shiny and wont be using it much during the winter.
Been really comfortable on my hybrid commuting and on any longer runs i've done and did find the road bike position slightly uncomfortable but have probably not got it set up quite right.
Always had road bikes years ago and like the variety of positions available on the bars etc so hoping its just me needing to re adjust.
Body has aged somewhat since last serious dabble in cycling :whistle:

JohnMc

Regular
I bought a hybrid last year on the cycle to work scheme - cannondale bad boy

Bought a second hand Onix Azzuro this week, pristine condition. Can't wait to get out on it and see how much difference it makes.

diyduffer

I like drop bars but not to low and can't get along with ergo bars with the 'flats' on the drops, my preference is a curve on the drops. I have tried a hybrid with flat bars, but want the variation of bar ends, Rav-x or Cane creek H bars ends were great
. As long As i can change by posture and am not too stretch out I am happy. Saddle are a more important to comfort, Give me a firm one,but thats is another issue.....

Moosh

Regular
Hi all.

I am thinking of getting myself a new bike, even though I am not getting rid of my old bike. Apparantely it is quite normal to have several bikes to choose from in your shed, depending on moods, type of cycling and distance. (I was hoping it was what colour you fancy wearing when you go out) But seriously, At the moment I have a flat bar, hybrid, which has done me just fine uptill now, but the distances that I seem to be covering just calls for a more comfortable bike, and I was thinking of getting a drop handle bike for these occasions.

Never having even rode a drop handle before how is the transition, easability or whatever terminolgy is needed here to go from Flat bar to drop handles.

It would be good hear how other total newbies have been with their adventures into the world of drop handle road bikes.

Having rode along with the Fnr's I feel I would benefit more from a bike like this. Any thoughts?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Switching to drops takes a little adjustment to the new position, but when I did change a couple years back I was actually surprised how easy the switch was. What did feel a little strange at the start was descending steep hills with what felt like my weight being leant further forwards.

Recently I converted the hybrid to a drop bar commuter so I have gone from flat bar only to drop bar bikes only. I just find the hand positions more comfortable.

Moosh

Regular
Thanks for the info mushroom, much appreciated, I make sure I try out a bike after christmas, on a hill near the shop ^_^

Helidoc

Went from seldom used Ridgeback hybrid to a drop bar road back. Since September that is 45h on the drop bar, and 35mins on the hybrid. Longer distances are more comfortable with drops, and I don't think I would willingly go back to flats. If I had a short urban commute I might think differently, and I will still retain the flat bar hybrid for recreational family rides.

MKat

Regular
I've just switched to a drop bar from a hybrid. The hybrid was great for urban traffic and negotiating the 76 sets of traffic lights on my 10-mile across-London commute. I tried a drop bar bike then for a year or so but didn't like the head-down riding position in all the traffic. Since moving further out into Surrey with a 20-mile commute (mostly on quieter A-roads), the hybrid isn't so comfy and drop bars allow a wider range of hand positions. The fact it's faster and lighter than my hybrid also makes for a faster commute...

Patrick Harvey

Regular
I had road bikes as a lad/youth, but after an absence of several years have had a succession of MTBs and hybrids.
I prefer to be more upright when I cycle, partly because of comfort (a dodgy back from years of rugby and cricket) and also because it suits my style of riding; long distance/touring.
I'd love to have a fast roadie and be 20+ again, but alas . . . !
Same here Dayvo, played loose head prop for many years, tried drop bars but kept getting neck problems so bought a flat bar road bike (Giant Rapid) and havent looked back, love it !!

I recently bought a drop bar road bike, Triban 3. As all new road bikes, it has STI gears, and I can ride easily holding on to "wings". So I can ride like a flat bar bike when I want to. Have I missed the plot?

Top Bottom