Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Patrick Harvey

Regular
I recently bought a drop bar road bike, Triban 3. As all new road bikes, it has STI gears, and I can ride easily holding on to "wings". So I can ride like a flat bar bike when I want to. Have I missed the plot?
You havent missed the plot !! the riding posture is different on a hybrid you are more upright.

Kookas

Über Member
I moved from a flat bar MTB to a roadie with drops. Personally I prefer the drops, they let me get into different postures while I'm riding. Also, has anyone ever tried riding no-handed and using their arms as a pendulum (like when you walk or run)? For some reason, doing that always helped me with pedalling and felt a lot more natural. Drop bars let me do pretty much that except without taking my hands off the bars.

Oh and yeah, I can pretend to have flat bars if I'm feeling like a more casual ride, and want to sit upright. Only difference is that that loses me the brakes, but it's not a big deal to move my hands over onto the sides, still being upright, when I might need the brakes.

David_widnes

Veteran
ive decided to take the plunge and have ordered a Trek madone to replace my Specialized hybrid bit nervous as i have never owned a road bike before

ChrisPAmbulance

I had a drop bar when I was much younger (Dawes Streak) and then converted to a flat (Raliegh Raven - the originaal one) as it was more durable and suited to my needs. After twenty six years, I have bought a drop bar (Ridgeback Voyage) to get some long distances in.

I'venot found the change from flat to drop quite so daunting as I have tried it before (albeit 30 odd years ago), but I still find myself sitting on top of the bars for most of the ride and only using the drops when I feel it's right.

Anyone got any tips on the right times to go for the drops (if it's not a really stupid question)

After my flat bar bike got stolen - yes!

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm doing it all back to front..
Started with a Giant TCR 1 then got a Trek Elite 8.5 mtb and now getting a Specialized Sirrus Comp..
Its going to be good to have a road, mtb and flat bar bikes.

Neil363

I've just made the switch from a Voodoo hybrid bought 8 months ago to a Giant Defy 3. (Although I have kept the Voodoo I'm not sure how often it'll get used).

I knew I'd be quicker on the new bike, just didn't realise the difference would be so much.

Spally

My first bike for serious adult riding was a ridgeback hybrid, most riding was done on road so had slick tyres etc. I have just bought my bianchi road bike so now have fitted the hybrid out to be more at home off road.

vigomag

Über Member
Ive recently gone from a Boardman Hyrid to a Merlin Malt with tiagra gears and TBH I'm thinkinh what have I done. after 3 times out , 2 punctures ,maybe not the weather to be out on a road bike, but apart from that I'm finding that the bikes taken me for a ride and have not enjoyed any of the rides. I cannot get a happy postition to ride, stuggling with the gear changes/braking. I have heard others say it can take a while to get used to a road bike but if you are not ebnjoying the experaiance is it worth trying? What I would also add is how teetchy a road bike is compaired to the hybrid.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I started with a Raleigh drop bar 20 odd years ago, then changed it for a mountain bike 15 years ago and have just bought a flat bar road bike / hybrid. I considered a drop bar road bike but went for the flat bar Specialized Sirrus as it will cope with light off road stuff when i want, even though I spend most time on road, plus I prefer the riding position. Having said that, as time passes and my wife simmers after me forking out for a new bike when I already had one, I might push it and get a road bike as well. I quite like the idea of having 3 bikes - a mountain bike, a hybrid and a road bike....yeah!!!

Top Bottom