Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I take it there isn't such a thing that would have an all in one, bull bar and drop bar end attachment???
Or maybe that is just being ridiculous!!
Thanks!

853_04_small.jpg

Licramite

Über Member
my old hybrid - used for on road, trails and tracks is top old to convert to a drop handlebar, have considered it but its a new bike or else (and with 3 bikes in the house I,ve no room for a forth) but theirs always another way, - for the few times I want to power and adopt the dropped attack position, I have a pair of handlebar bar ends, but pointing down, so they lower my arm position, turn my elbows in stick my bum up for full power, a cheep simple conversion

Sca1ey

I started commuting to work 3 years ago and had not ridden a drop bar since I was a kid. The MTB I had for trail riding was too slow for a 11 mile road commute; so I got my hands on a drop-bar tourer 2nd hand off a mate. One thing that did catch me out on my first ride was the integrated shifters - couldn't work them out for a good five minutes :smile: .

Licramite

Über Member
a nice refinement, you can get grips to go on the end of your handle bar, so you can hold it on the ends giving an extra hand position, it straightens the arm, turns the eldow in ans is quite comfortable a position.
combine this with bar ends pointing down and you have 3 hand arm postions.

Licramite

Über Member
P1030103.JPG

handle bar - flat bar with end grips and bar ends in dropped position
bar tape to give it a unified look, add grip and cover up the rusted chrome on the flatbars.

G2EWS

Don't think I could manage a drop bar. Had a 'Tour de France' in my youth, but with two discs embedded in my spinal cord I think leaning over that far may become a problem.

Have owned a few mountain bikes and get on well with them. Just bought my first full carbon one and will probably replace the tyres with hybrids as a lot my work will indeed be on the road or tracks rather than mountains!

Regards

Chris

Had a hybrid 1st thing due to concerns about whether my back would take the more "tucked" position of a drop bar bike. Fitted tri-bars to my hybrid 1st to see if it would cope. It did. Bought a dropped bar bike.

Still use the hybrid for short commutes/nasty weather/winter. Consider the road bike my "best" one - so that only comes out when it's dry and for longer trips.

Binka

Über Member
I've gone from a mtb to a Specialized Tricross. So it's got drops but in a more relaxed position than a lot of road bikes. Plus it can go on good bridleways, tracks, etc.

I've got on with it a lot better than I thought. I tend to ride on the hoods most of the time but the drops are far in a headwind. Ideally I would like another hand position on them though and have wondered if it's possible to attach a pair of bar ends in a sort of 45degree upright/forward position???

I'm planning on doing quite a bit of touring on the bike so comfort over looks or speed is the
Priority.

Phill057

Started Flat in my youth but then progressed to my Puch 10 speed.. Could never see the point of the drops as I was not conpetitive so was not racing.. Have my Butler mountain with city tires and I am elected with the straight bars but have added mountain horns but would rarely use them except for tough hills which there is a lot off where I live

Davidc

Guru
Apart from when I was under 15 I always rode bikes with drop bars.

Then I was looking for a bike to use locally and for trips using the canal here and was given a cheapish mtb as a present. (Promptly slicked it and added a rack and mudguard substitutes).

I also bought a new tourer (OK secondhand), with drop bars, soon after that.

The flat bar bike is fine for round town, and having flat bars makes parking easier, and getting in and around parked cars and the like easier too. Any distance and I start having issues with numbness and discomfort in my hands. On the canal I can deal with it by riding one-handed most of the way but don't like doing that on roads.

The drop bar tourer is the one I use for days out or longer rides. The bars offer variable hand positioning so greater comfort, and I find that control is better especially at higher speeds. I also find I get better maneuverability and balance, but suspect that's more down to the frame geometry than the bars.

OTH's comment about gears doesn't make sense. You can change the gearing on any bike to suit your needs. I have the same at the bottom on both bikes and lower on the tourer at the top (by accident not design). You just change the cassette &/or chainset and the rear derailleur arm if necessary.

I can't see any reason why anyone should have any real problems with either type of bars, it's just a matter of personal preference, and probably taste. Drop bars do offer the option of getting down into a lower position with less wind resistance and a bit more power going uphill, but most riders including me don't do that very often and can manage without. Flat bars, even with bar ends, mean easier access to brakes and shifters, useful in town but it doesn't make too much difference.

Just go with whichever you fancy!

Top Bottom