Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oddjob62

Oddjob62 said:
Definitely plan on getting a proper road bike once my fitness has improved (currently 20st), in fact would like to get a fixie, at least that's if i am able to get up the nasty hill to get to my house without the option of the lower gears.

Well as predicted, just bought an old 2nd hand Raleigh racer off ebay. Long term goal will be to convert it into a fixie. Hopefully should be getting it in a couple of weeks (mate is picking it up and driving it down for me ;))

Phixion

I'm currently unsure whether to buy a drop bar allez sport or flat bar sirrus, I have issues with my back and think drop bars would bother my back.

If I buy the Sirrus I think I'll also buy a bull horn bar for a more comfortable aerodynamic position.

rickangus

Über Member
Having read this forum with interest I'm tempted to experiment with drop bars again. I used these from age 11 to 18 until the delights of the internal combustion engine kicked in.

When I resumed cycling about 15 years ago it was with flat bars. So, I want to experiment on the cheap and am now looking for some indexed/friction bar end changers for a 9 speed triple.

I'm placing an ad in the classifieds also but if anybody has a pair at a sensible price please pm me.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used MTBs as general commuting/ getting around machines for ages. I only recently started using road bikes after buying an Airnimal Joey and eventually doing a TT on it and getting into club cycling/ cycle sport that way.

jadlem

Hi everyone, have just signed up to this forum. As a teenager I used to cycle everywhere on a raleigh mountain bike with bull bars, I could cycle up just about anything. Since learning to drive, over 10 years ago, my bike has hardly travelled a mile!

I have just recently treated myself to a Dawes Discovery hybrid, which I think is a fantastic way for me to get back into the sport. It will probably get used on bridleways as much as roads, which is why I plumped for a hybrid, having used it on roads I have found that I really want to get lower down and reach forwards which I could do on my old raleigh.

I have just been looking at extensions which can be added to bars and would like to know what anyone thinks of them?

chester3

I had the bike shop change the bars even before it left the shop. The bike was the cheapest one I could get to fit my size and I wanted drop bars. Works well for its purpose of commuting.

jadlem

Have just fitted a central exension that splits like a y at the front, it came with some elbow pads as well, is taking a bit of getting used to but feels pretty good. My only problem is changing gear at speed!

Am glad I bought a hybrid now as a mistake on a bike ride yeserday ended up with me riding down a hillside at the side of a field in foot tall grass! Try that with drop bars and road bike gears!

Safrican

I have just ordered my first roadie for 10 years. I have had flatbar MTB's with slicks for commuting, but now need more speed and want to get more distance cycling done on the weekends.
For those interested it is a Felt Z70

JohnRedcoRn

NEW CYCLIST, GOT A HYBRID , ride roads and cycle paths. my mates (experienced cyclists) swear i'll want a road bike within a year. So a roadbike is lighter and faster, but doesnt that mean if i stick to the hybrid i will be fitter and stronger because its heavier ?
I was thinking of bar ends however, to give me more options for comfort.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

JohnRedcoRn said:
NEW CYCLIST, GOT A HYBRID , ride roads and cycle paths. my mates (experienced cyclists) swear i'll want a road bike within a year. So a roadbike is lighter and faster, but doesnt that mean if i stick to the hybrid i will be fitter and stronger because its heavier ?
I was thinking of bar ends however, to give me more options for comfort.

Whilst you are right that a lighter, faster, more aero road bike will take less effort to ride the same course at the same speed in the same conditions as someone on a hybrid the fact is that you are unlikely to be able to keep up with someone on a road bike for a sustained period therefore your efforts over the same length of time could be more or less than the person on the road bike depending how much effort either of you put into your time.

A road bike, because it allows you conserve energy better, will be much easier to ride over longer distances for a person who has no disability which precludes them from finding a comfortable position on a road bike therefore this may encourage you ride more and further and thus your total effort will be greater than if your choice of bike doesn't make you want to ride anything more than the bare minimum.

There are people out there who hate how road bikes feel and much prefer hybrids however I think what this thread has told us is that a lot of people who start of with hybrids do so because they feel intimidated by drop bar bikes and once they gain experience and hopefully develop a love for riding they want to go further more quickly and get their head out of the wind which is one of the major benefits of drop bars.

I personally never got the whole I've got lots of hand positions argument though. I use bar ends on my flat bar and never had any problems finding a comfortable hand position. Yeah the road bike has lots of potential positions but in reality I really only use two. Hands on the hoods or hands in the U of the drop.

Plax

Guru
I started off with a hybrid (still have it as a winter / spare bike). I now have a Dawes Ultra Galaxy touring bike. Was going to go for a Dawes Discovery 601 (has flat bars) but after having a play on a bike with drops in Halfrauds I decided to go for the Galaxy as it's a more practical all rounder. Really pleased I did - It's faster than the hybrid, yet still has MTB gearing, and I can carry all sorts of swag on it.
I am seriously considering building my own road bike now though. There's a place not so far away from me that does "Build your own bike" days. Very tempting, time to save up the pennies!

pjgraham86

Über Member
I have had a Diamondback Allure hybrid for the last 12 or so years which has been fantastic - routine servicing only and never let me down despite me almost never giving it any TLC - till I was doing the Rob Roy Challenge in June 2007 (16 mile hike then 39 miles on a bike in rural Scotland - great day out). It was my first time doing one of those types of thing and I trained pretty hard and did well.

I digress - the DB let me down after 7 miles cycling - 2 of the 3 gear cables snapped and I was miles form the nearest support point ! I did the rest with 6 gears so I could have been a lot faster.

Took the plunge a month ago and bought a Raleigh Airlite Carbon Comp road bike through a friend who owns a bike shop (very good discount!!). It's great for racking up the miles and my cycling buddy toils to keep up on his hybrid !! I've had a bit of an achy shoulder which I attribute to the altered position but I guess that will settle down.

Looking forward to the Glasgow to Edinburgh (55 miles) on 14 September - need to get a decent run under my belt this weekend as I've not done anything like that since Rob Roy......!!

Cheers

Peter

Top Bottom