Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inaperfectworld

perhaps showing my age mid-fifties but when i was young drops were definitely the really cool bikes to have, and it seemed it was the rich kids who had them. most ordinary bikes had a sturmey archer 3 speed, but the racers had 5 speed derailleur. wooow
i stared out on a mountain bike but bought a tourer with drops as well, as.. ..well i really fancied one having never had one when i was young. prefer drops for the hand positions it allows, but also the drops can be good for using against wind: (interesting question is what percentage difference it might make). never had a problem changing to dropped and they seemed fine when commuting in traffic
oh yes, they are supposed to be less attractive to thieves as well

i went from a straight handle bar to a drop down handle bar. I found it difficult at first but i got used to it after a few rides i personally think they are more comfy. There are many positions you can grip the handle bars

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Been using drops for about 3 months now. I like the riding position the offer but I do still get a lot of problems with numb hands no matter what gloves I use though this is much better than it used to be when I first changed when I had sore shoulders, hands and arms. So things are imporving but still not the most comfortable.

BSA

I grew up with a BMX then went to mountain bikes. I stoppped using the bike when I passed my test and started to drive.

Recently I have started to use a bike for work and a friend sorted me out with a road bike. I must admit it took me a ride or two to get use to the subtle differences but I really enjoy it! no discomfort, no pain and road bikes are just so much faster and lighter.

I still use the mountain bike but purely for off roading. Is it possible to own too many bikes?

triple333

I've been riding drop bar bikes for 30 odd years.I recently bought a Spesh Globe Nexus 8 but didn't really like the flat bars so I converted it to drop bars with Campag Ergos.

phoenix

Started with a Hybrid about 3 years ago, at the time I thought it would be ideal as I didn't know what sort of cycling I wanted to do. 3 years later it has only been ridden on tarmac and 1 gravel path, so I have now moved over to a drop bar bike.

So much lighter and my average speed increased by 2mph by swapping. I found that my hands, arms, shouldres and neck took a while to adjust to the different riding position.

I still have my hybrid but have not ridden in since upgrading (July). Maybe I should sell it on and 'invest' the cash in a better quality road bike.

jimboalee

First bike? Oh err.:smile:

It had handlebars that swept back like these...

Rodbrakes.jpg

Then I got a sports tourer with 'racing bends'. ;)

clutterydrawer

i have a hybrid but use my mum's drop handlebar bike whenever mine is out of action.

I really don't like it, i find it uncomfortable and difficult to look around - which is a necessity in traffic.

515mm

Aye, started commuting on a slicked up MTB then became convinced of the benefit of a drop bar bike by a couple of mates - Lardyboy and Tall Paul - as it 'appens. Maybe 2-3mph quicker over my usual 14 mile commute and a bit more comfortable too. Had a better view of the traffic on the MTB mind, so that's probably a better choice for shorter, predominantly urban rides.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
I bought a Ridgeback Element back in June and have recently been considering converting it to drop bars. But I'm in two minds should I convert it or just sell it and buy a proper road bike. (Couldn't afford more than £500)

OP
OP
D

doyler78

gb-locks said:
I bought a Ridgeback Element back in June and have recently been considering converting it to drop bars. But I'm in two minds should I convert it or just sell it and buy a proper road bike. (Couldn't afford more than £500)

You would be better of asking that in your own thread in beginners however I would say that it is usually cheaper to buy a new bike unless you are great at the mechanical side of things as there is a lot of work involved in the conversion and the geometry of the frame is likely to be a bit too upright for drop bar road bike. Basically it will always be a compromise model and you may not find that you don't actually enjoy the compromise and end up spending more on another "proper" drop bar road bike.

I use Nitto Moustache bars, so I'm neutral.:smile:
Brilliant. Wrists face inwards, which I'm sure is important when you ride up hills, as upright with all the visibility of flat bars, but all the hand positions of drops and a really tucked in, aero position if that's what you want too. For anything other than racing, I don't think they can be beat. And I've owned a lot of both types.
You need a tall, short stem to get the setup right, but once you do it's bliss.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
chris667 said:
I use Nitto Moustache bars, so I'm neutral.;)
Brilliant. Wrists face inwards, which I'm sure is important when you ride up hills, as upright with all the visibility of flat bars, but all the hand positions of drops and a really tucked in, aero position if that's what you want too. For anything other than racing, I don't think they can be beat. And I've owned a lot of both types.
You need a tall, short stem to get the setup right, but once you do it's bliss.

Got a picture of your bike? I am just wondering what they look like...

Top Bottom