Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timeout

Maz said:
I am still waiting to take the plunge and get a drop bar bike....I have had my Sirrus Elite (would that be regarded as a flat bar road bike?) for a couple of years. It's fast, but I want to get more aero where possible and go a bit faster, on the dual-carriageway etc.

Interesting I am thinking of changing my Roubiax for a Sirrus pro as I just can't get used to the "streched out" position its just too eggresive, for me anyway.

Does the sirrus do the job, I do about 100 miles per week

Cheers

Timeout

jeff1959

i started with a mountain bike then went to a hybrid and and now have a drop bar road bike it's take me a while to adjust to the riding position of the drop bars but now I'm used to it don't think i will be going back to flat bars .

Timeout said:
Interesting I am thinking of changing my Roubiax for a Sirrus pro as I just can't get used to the "streched out" position its just too eggresive, for me anyway.

Does the sirrus do the job, I do about 100 miles per week

Cheers

Timeout
I converted my Sirrus (Sport 06) to drops and whilst it did the job as a flat bar, over a longer distance with wind its not as good/efficient as a dropped bar bike. It certainly do the job over a 100 miles week and whilst it may not be the fastest, it'll be faster than most.

GatleyJim

Über Member
Just made the change. Started on a basic hybrid. Picked up an old Ribble racing bike on Ebay today. I'm really happy with it. The only problem is that I'm not sure if it's big enough for me. The ride is totally different to the hybrid. That might be why it doesn't feel quite right.

Anyway, even if this one isn't big enough I'll be upgrading it to a bigger one before long.

thomas

the tank engine
I've got dropped bars...but flats on my MTB. I only really use the MTB if the road bike is broken/off road.

I only use the drops when going down hill though...I know some people seem to hold on down there, but that's just uncomfortable.

Tangospud

When I took up cycling a couple of years ago,I started off on a flat bar hybrid. This year I have changed to a drop handle bar tourer. I had reservations for awhile about comfort of riding, keeping balance etc. However, have had no such worries or problems.

Street Hawk

I've been commuting, 30min each way, on a Giant Hybrid Heavy PieceOShit 7000 or something for several months. Next week I pick up a Specialized Allez 18 that I got thru the Cycle2Work scheme. On my test ride it was amazingly light. At the bottom of a hill I slowed down and tinkered with the gears, when I looked up again I was at the top.

However, I have a few concerns:

• The riding position demands a whole new muscle set so it's going to hurt for a couple weeks.
  • The tyres are so thin. The thought of cornering, weaving around traffic and wet days is scaring me a little.
  • The drop handle bars threw up some balance problems. I found it hard to look behind, and couldn't hand-signal without the steering wobbling.

I'm sure all these things will work themselves out but if anyone's got any advice, I'm listening. I'll definitely be riding with caution for a while.

This bike is also going to make me a better rider. On my heavy beast I'd take chances with traffic lights because the effort to start again was a complete energy-zapping chore.

Most of all, I can't wait to ride at a decent speed, and to not get blown to a crawl when riding in a wind.

SlowCoach

Über Member
Street Hawk said:
However, I have a few concerns:

• The drop handle bars threw up some balance problems. I found it hard to look behind, and couldn't hand-signal without the steering wobbling.
Two tips for looking behind:

1) on the drops - quickly duck your head down and look under your armpit - your view behind is upside down but it's fast and gives you a good view of what's there without taking your hands off

2) on the tops - drop one hand off the bars and down to your side whilst looking forward. Then rotate your body at the hips 30 degrees as you look back - I find, that even with a gammy back that won't let me rotate my neck far enough on it's own I can still see behind by combining hip rotation, limited neck rotation and swivelling my eyes. Then use the hand you dropped by your side to hand signal. If the driver behind is alert, the fact that you dropped your hand to your side should indicate that you are contemplating a manouvre (but don't rely on this...)

Both require a little practice when the road is quiet first, but are very easy habits to pick up.

Jambon

Bought my first drop bar racing bike at the end of last month, got a cinelli frame with Mavic wheels, campag crank set. I bought it off an old guy who used to race but his missus stopped him as a couple of his pals have came off and had heart attacks! I got It for 160.00 which is a complete bargain!!

Still have the hybrid but im giving it back to my dad, cant imagine riding the hybrid after being in the racing bike! Might have to come the winter though. L

nigelnorris

I've just finally picked up my Spesh Tricross and after a modest 20 miles or so I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised how easy the transition seems to be. I think it's a fairly relaxed ride anyways though so that must be helping

Not that I'm confident of living to enjoy it because there's a chance these flappy gear change doodaahs are going to kill me first. The way one changes up and the other down just seems counterintuitive at the moment, approaching and setting off from junctions is a real lottery ;)

nuovo_record

i went from drops to flat bars as i used to commute to work, but now back to drops again. also have aMTB with flat basr for poodling around

George

Just bought a Bianchi Cameleonte flat bar road bike because I've got a bad back. You can adjust the headset so you can cycle more upright. It's much easier to cover longer distances as you are in a much more comfortable riding position. Drops are OK if you haven't got disc problems from other sports. Obviously you have more control going downhill with drops, but I would highly recommend the set up I've got now for anyone who wants to cover distance in comfort. The main obstacle you have to face is prejudice towards flat bar bikes from other 'hard core' cyclists. So I can go out cycling with other members of of my cycling group, without evoking raised eyebrows, I've kept my drop handlebar road bike for social outings.

Top Bottom