Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noeyedear

Yup just got one, as a child I rode drop-bar. It's much more comfortable for me, I've had tennis elbow in the past, although the straight bar does not set it off, riding on the hoods is way more comfortable and natural. Think about it, when you stand still you tend to have palms in, that's more like the angle of a drop bar and if I fancy a change I have the choice to change position. I can't think of a good enough reason not to have drops.

Kevin.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Noeyedear said:
I can't think of a good enough reason not to have drops.
Kevin.

lack of imagination

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
I did plan to convert my Ridgeback Element to drops but I decided to sell it and get a drop bar bike. I bought a Cube Aerial Comp 2008, haven't sold the Ridgeback yet I'll probably just keep it for wet roads. I thought that might happen.:smile:

asl

Hi. A cylechat virgin (my first post) I didn't cycle for years (since school) as I used to run for fitness. Broke my foot 2 years ago so started cycling to reduce impact. Had a hybrid for a year and then 'progressed' onto a drop bar. Took me about 2 weeks to get used to and really struggled with lateral stability in crosswinds. It took me a week to even be brave enough to put me hands on the drops. Comfortable now and really glad I took the plunge. Great forum guys and gals!!!

blutintin

i started on a flat bar commuter bike and then felt like i wanted to go a bit faster so sold it and bought an Allez with drops and then went from standard pedals to clipless .......whats next??? prob a new bike and expensive upgrade. judging from some more exp riders on here at some stage i'll have not one but three bikes... ah the joy

ronmac

It's a hard one to call. I've only been cycling for about 8 months and have 2 bikes, one of each.
I use the flat bar for local pottering about (anything from 1 to about 30 mile) and use the drops for longer runs.
Each bike seems more suited to that activity for me. I wouldn't want to use them vice-versa.
Either way it's just great getting out on a bike.

i've been mountain biking for over 10 years now

fancied a road bike so re-built my dad's old one that had been in a shed for 20 years.

hadn't ridden one or even sat on it until i'd finished it, just assumed i'd fit ok as i'm slightly taller than my dad

just4fun

im looking to make the change from flat to drops, although suffering from weak lower back muscles that are prone to straining i'm interested to see if this is the correct thing to do. It seems like the jury is still out on this.
Are bikes still produced with drop bars that have the twin brake leavers ? one in flat position and the 2nd set in drop bar position? as i've only seen this feature on older bikes.

EDIT:
I havent had to give my back a thought since getting the new bike, its really comfortable and im enjoying the variety of hand positions (i never thought about needing until i had the option.)

inaperfectworld

i favour drops for hand positions but also for being able to get lower when into wind. i've wondered how much difference this make, it feels like the dropped position is less resistant but wonder how much difference there really is or whether a lot is psychological: if it's 1% then it is largely psychological i would have a stab at a figure of 5% in reduction of resistance; any more estimates?

CorsairC

Über Member
Almost all riders on drops I see are on the hoods even on a windy day. In traffic and moving around cars I like the flat bars. I tend to stay on the bar ends only moving to the flat bar if I need to brake or downhill etc. In my youth I had a bike with drops and hardly ever used the drops. But then I never did any really long spins.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I really want a drop bar bike now. I ride a hybrid but I'm on the bar ends a lot and have it set up so the bars are low and by posterior is high which suits the way I ride. It's just a case of convincing the charming and devoted that I need another bike; this isn't necessarily the easiest thing whilst she's off on maternity leave!

Sun Superlight

Hi Maz, I too have had a Sirrus Elite for 5 years and like you, have long hankered for a drop bar bike.
Finally I've got one, and yes it's a bit faster than the Sirrus on a long ride.
For commuting to work in heavy traffic however, I prefer the flat bars and instantly accesible brakes of the Sirrus.
The extra speed of the drop bar bike is lost in traffic anyway.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Sun Superlight said:
Hi Maz, I too have had a Sirrus Elite for 5 years and like you, have long hankered for a drop bar bike.
Finally I've got one, and yes it's a bit faster than the Sirrus on a long ride.
For commuting to work in heavy traffic however, I prefer the flat bars and instantly accesible brakes of the Sirrus.
The extra speed of the drop bar bike is lost in traffic anyway.

I'm the opposite on this point as I preferred to be on the bar ends on my Sirrus and as such was away from the brakes. I took people out in groups a couple of times because I couldn't react quickly enough to a sudden slowing of the pace and ended up riding in to the back of them. This isn't something which is as acute on the drop bar because nearly all my time is either on the hoods or drop and both have the brakes easily accessible so much safer in this respect. The same applied in start/stop commute traffic.

I suppose it depends how you have your bike setup and where you normally have your hands.

coopman

Been riding hybrids last 5 years and have diceded to give a drop bar bike a go again. I have a saracen venturer 4 and you cant beat it for practicality, wee runs to the shops etc, I have even toured on it.
However been doing alot more cycling just for the sake of it, longer runs, so thought I would have a go on a lighter drop bar bike. I had drop bar bikes when I was younger but gave them up for practicality of a hybrid, and I never did much MTB'ing so not bothered about that style of bike.
I certainly wont be getting rid of my hybrid though, use it for jollies to shops, towing my wee daughter in a trailer and some touring later this year.
Got a merida road race 903 arriving on tuesday, I wonder how I will get on with it!

tonka

Went from drops as a tenager to mountain bikes then hybrids, now thinking of getting a touring bike, just need to persuade the other half that it is normal to have a bike to commute on and another for longer weekend rides:laugh:.

Top Bottom