Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

narrowangle

Just swopped from DiamonBack flat bar lightweight hybrid to Dolan Mythos. Went out today for first ride and really struggled. Think i need a shorter stem as i feel stretched though i didnt when i tried it. They fitted me at the shop and said try it with the option of going back for shorter stem.Should i give it more time?? Will mving seat forward be an option??

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
'Yes' I prefer the drop handle bar to the flat handle bar. the latter always made my fingers numb! Something to do with vibration I think? With the drop bars I change my hand position regularly which prevents any numb....ness occuring.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

djtheglove said:
'Yes' I prefer the drop handle bar to the flat handle bar. the latter always made my fingers numb! Something to do with vibration I think? With the drop bars I change my hand position regularly which prevents any numb....ness occuring.

Complete opposite for me. I could ride for hours with no numb hands on my flat bar but after about 5 miles I start to get numb hands on the drop bar and have to start constantly changing my hand position. The problem is getting better but still is a problem.

Vitesse

No-one seems to have mentioned adjustable angle stems, which allow the bars to be positioned virtually anywhere you want, height or reach!

I rode 2 Raleigh drop bar road bikes as a teenager but then life and motorcycles and cars took over. 30 years later I got back into cycling on an old Raleigh Routier, a tourer with drop bars. Later I added a Dawes Discovery Hybrid flat bar to the stable but never quite enjoyed the riding position as much. Anyhow I gave them both away when I emigrated to Canada in 2006. I am returning to the UK for good in a couple of months and am already set on going for a drop bar road bike as soon as I land. I miss cycling ;)

I can remember all the things i never liked about drop bars as a kid, - brakes in the wrong place as you always rode on the tops - poor gear changing (largely solved now) poor riding position for me etc so I have a hybred as my road bike, however i am in the process of converting it into a hybrid hybrid with an aero base bar so I can keep the controls i like and at the same time get more streched out if i feel like it

radger

Veteran
I had a drop-bar as a kid. I now have a flat-barred road bike, so there is no option for me in the poll. :smile:
I avoid numb hands by use of glubs - when I lost mine I developed numbness in my left hand within a week.

If I had the budget for more than one bike, I'd also have a drop-barred tourer. And a pub bike with drops. And a cyclocross. And and and...

Oddjob62

Priscilla Parsley said:
got my first drop bar today! not too difficult transition, its so light! my arms and hands ache though.

Bah! I'm finding the transition hard. Maybe because I'm not that experienced a cyclist, maybe a combination of thin (23s) tyres (only ridden MTB and 35s previously), and the new (currently) unnatural feeling drop position.
Just doing short local journeys at the moment, don't want to have a "moment" going through central London at rush hour. Only issue is, area around my house is all hills, so there's no nice flat quiet roads on which to practice.

Jitendrakumar

just do it

Hi

Well In now era everybody is fond of Road bikes and this forum tells us about a best Road bike. Road bikes shops receive higher-quality bikes that are more likely to last longer and need less maintenance in the long-run. We purchase bike from those shop which offer free labor and discounted parts upon purchase, which is usually never provided by every shop.

jitendra kumar

Capture One Auto Transport

ruthe

i'm a reverse convert! after years of being an MTB rider i bought a hybrid for touring and then upgraded to a roadie, after a year i've just put flat bars on it (but chopped them to narrow) and added an adjustable longer stem because that just feels more right to me!

Sozli

Started on a MTB at the beginning of the year, progressed to a flat bar in the summer, just completed my first Audax ... how long till I go for drops ?

Top Bottom