Diesel for cleaning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
A friend was using diesel to clean his bike last weekend and it came up lovely, so I cadged a bottle full.

Is it likely to cause any of the rubbers/plastics to perish? Any good reasons not to use it to clean bikes? He didn't know but splashed it about quite happily.

byegad

Legendary Member
I know someone who uses it to clean his chain, swears by it and his chains look nice and clean! I'd be a bit iffy to splash it on me as it can burn skin after long application so maybe rubber is at risk too???

Jonathan M

Can irritate skin, and wouldn't be good near any open cuts on hands. May be other long term health considerations, but would have thought that these only applied to regular (daily??) exposure http://www.aft.org/topics/health-safety/downloads/DieselFuel.pdf

Isn't particualry "green" to use, but is cheaper than bike speficic cleaners.

Don't know about rubber etc, but I know that fuel pumps on a diesel ensgien rely on a lot of seals etc, so it might not be too bad on those parts.

keithyboy

Diesel also stinks to high heaven. Once you get it on your hands in any quantity you'll be stuck with it for days.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Diesel is a carcinogen.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Diesel is a carcinogen.

That'll be a very good reason to wear gloves then, along with the other reasons already given.

If I remember right he had gloves on while working.

Davidc

Guru
Diesel's basically unpleasant, environmentally unfriendly, and stinks.

I find a good degreaser works on chains and transmission bits, WD40 will get most tarry and oily dirt off, car shampoo does the rest, and finishing off with supermarket furniture polish leaves 'em shining and water repellant.

ASC1951

Guru
byegad said:
I know someone who uses it to clean his chain, swears by it and his chains look nice and clean! I'd be a bit iffy to splash it on me as it can burn skin after long application so maybe rubber is at risk too???
It will take all the oil out of the chain, including the oil that needs to be there. Watch how a chain cleaned with diesel rusts in a couple of days. There is actually no need to clean a chain. Mine last all year and then get replaced.

Er, there isn't any rubber on a bike these days. Even the brake blocks are synthetic.

nosherduke996

Just wipe the chain with a clean dry rag to get any grime off,then apply proper chain oil.
Do this every couple of rides and the chain will not go all black and grimey.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I waxed my frame twice with autoglym i think, or something like that, just some car wax we had in.
Did it one day then left it, then did it again(left 24hours between) and now there is hardly ever much dirt on it, even when i hadnt washed it for a month and it being out in rain.
Only think that does stick is my drink, leaves little sticky red bit on down by the bottle.
But i use Wilkos own wash and wax, and this then takes off all the other crap thats on it and makes it nice and shiny.

On my other bikes i never waxed, they would always be a pig to clean and, dirt would just be attracted to them and they would never be properly clean.

So there you go, wax your frames and they will be easy to clean. No need for this diesel crap or other cleaners.

Top Bottom