Difference between tyre widths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hi guys!

This question has probably been covered before. However, I am going to ask anyway.

I have a Specialized 2018 Sport Allez. As standard, it comes with 700 x 25mm Espoir tyres. I like these tyres and I have the same width, but Durano Plus's on my Diverge (as recommended by @ianrauk )

These are the tyres I would like for my Allez, I've read so many brilliant reviews for them. However, I can get them as a 23mm minimum on 700 size.

However, I have seen contrasting posts from people, some say that going down in tyre width affects speed and some say you have to go down two widths to make any noticeable difference - and if that's the case then I wouldn't fancy sitting on 20mm!

I can see this issue as a massive minefield as there are many variances, namely, rider fitness, type of bike and type of tyre compound/tread. The other issue with going down in tyre width is a decrease in ride comfort as well.

I would like to have slimmer tyres, especially on my road bike in time for duathlon season come May, however, if it won't make much difference and could decrease ride quality then I will save the money from new tyres etc and spend it on other bike related treats!

Any input would be great, I am hoping my technical terms are OK? Tyre and rims are not my forte!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Why do you want to have thinner tyres?

Wider tyres are more comfortable and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that wider tyres are slightly faster than thinner ones.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well I like the Pro Ones, I may just get the same width, just a better quality.

I guess I want thin tyres because I have always been under the impression that they are faster! But maybe that's naivity - as I said, be gentle on me - tyres are not my strong set!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not a racer, but ride long distances. All I can say is that the thinner you go, the more uncomfortable it is. So much so that it is easy to lose the speed you gain on thinner tyres, purely because of the ride discomfort.

I think Jan Ullrich had the right idea. He used to train on heavy bikes to get himself fit and then thought a racing bike was a doddle.

The idea that thinner tyres make you go faster is an out dated idea. The TDF bikes are getting bigger tyres all the time.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/tires-of-the-tour-de-france-50337/

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The snag to running skinny tyres is they need to be run at higher pressure to avoid 'pinch flats' (for instance I need 150-160psi in the rear tyre when running my 20mm Continental 'Grand Prix Supersonic') but theoretically a tubeless tyre won't suffer from that. Also rear tyre pressures are very dependant on rider weight so whilst I at 16 stone need that pressure (which is still below the 'Max Rated') someone lighter will get away with lower pressure.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hi guys

Thanks so much for this input, I think it would be better to stick at 25 and tubeless with give me a better ride whilst still at that slightly wider size.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I would assume so. I will check with Specialized.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Oh man! Yes, I think I am going to do some shopping around, I do like my tyres and I need to work out if the gains quantify the money I may need to spend!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The good thing is , while everyone is going with the mags and getting super fast wider tyres there are some fantastic deals going on the thinner ones :okay:
I tried the schwalbe ones when they first came out , got a puncture within seconds of leaving the house :angry:

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
The good thing is , while everyone is going with the mags and getting super fast wider tyres there are some fantastic deals going on the thinner ones :okay:

I know everyone disses Evans, but they have some great clearance deals on Continental tyres! Ones that constantly come up as top competitors for Best Road Tyre.

Top Bottom