Difference between tyre widths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The thing about the step from 32mm to 28mm road tyres is that you can 'suddenly' get really good makes/models of tyre which are a step change lighter, step change lower rolling resistance, yet still with excellent robustness and durability.
I think there is a market for 32mm versions of the good road tyres (see those mentioned in this thread) but manufacturers do not make them
But are the benefits of lightness and low rolling resistance of relevance on a 'normal' flat bar bike?
Any benefits gained from going wider (as described in the GP 4000S II comparison) are lost in increased weight and the likelihood that you'll run 32s at a significantly lower pressure (with implicit higher rolling resistance).

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah I am thinking of either staying at 28mm but a better quality tyre or a better quality tyre at 25mm. I definitely like the Continential GP 4000 SII though...:bicycle::wahhey:

TonySJ

Regular
Yeah I am thinking of either staying at 28mm but a better quality tyre or a better quality tyre at 25mm. I definitely like the Continential GP 4000 SII though...:bicycle::wahhey:
The Contis are good quality tyres and tend to always be on Offer somewhere on the net, less than £30 a tyre. I have them on my winter wheels and have gone for Schwalbe Pro Ones on my summer wheels. Ive never had any issues with the Contis so see no reason to change.

GuyBoden

Guru
Depending on the road bike and brake type, some wide tyres won't allow you to get the wheel off past the brakes, even with the brake's quick release disengaged. You have to let the air out of the tyre.:thumbsdown:

Well I like the Pro Ones, I may just get the same width, just a better quality.

I guess I want thin tyres because I have always been under the impression that they are faster! But maybe that's naivity - as I said, be gentle on me - tyres are not my strong set!

Generally slimmer tyres are faster on smooth surfaces. So get monster truck tyres if you have a road bike.

Top Bottom