Difference between tyre widths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Durano Plus 20.7w rolling resistyance (per tyre) and almost twice as heavy (measured 622-25 = 400g)
Continental GP4000S II 12.9w
(At 100psi)
The Durano Plusses are an excellent touring tyre. However this is not the OP's implicit requirement: training for and riding duathlons.
Compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-michelin-power-competition-2016-vs-schwalbe-durano-plus-2017

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Durano Plus 20.7w rolling resistyance (per tyre) and almost twice as heavy (measured 622-25 = 400g)
Continental GP4000S II 12.9w
(At 100psi)
The Durano Plusses are an excellent touring tyre. However this is not the OP's implicit requirement: training for and riding duathlons.
Compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-michelin-power-competition-2016-vs-schwalbe-durano-plus-2017

In honesty, I usually have them pumped to 80 PSI, these stats are very interesting though!!

Especially when the Conti GP and Power Competition seem pretty similar until it goes to 100psi!!

bpsmith

Veteran
I would even go so far as to suggest Conti Attack and Force. 11w for front and 11.7w for the rear. Lighter too, as the front is narrower than the back.

Personally, I favour Vittoria Corsa G+’s.

mikeymustard

Veteran
I found narrower continental tyres very weak on the side walls and switched to Michelin, at first Kyrlion Carbons (now called Pro 4 Endurance), Pro 4 SC and Powers all great tyres IMO.
I've got a pair of michelin lithions on one of my bikes, nice tyres for budget items but they are pigs to fit!

mikeymustard

Veteran
I had Lithions once and whilst they were cheap I wouldn't recommend them. That said I can't remember them being worse than any other tyre of that type to fit when new.
lol I wasn't recommending them just pointing out I thought they were hard to fit! Tried them on 3 sets of wheels so far too, cos they keep getting swapped to my least-used bike :smile:

lol I wasn't recommending them just pointing out I thought they were hard to fit! Tried them on 3 sets of wheels so far too, cos they keep getting swapped to my least-used bike :smile:
I didnt think you were with that review 'a pig to fit' :laugh:

I found narrower continental tyres very weak on the side walls and switched to Michelin, at first Kyrlion Carbons (now called Pro 4 Endurance), Pro 4 SC and Powers all great tyres IMO.

I have had a few issues with conti gp4000 and 4 season side walls, as have a few people I ride with. Great tyres, with more grip in the wet and dry, brilliant rolling resistance, but the side walls are partial to failing as they get older.

Ajax Bay

Guru
a few issues with conti gp4000 and 4 season side walls, . . . but the side walls are partial to failing as they get older.
Could you share what you mean by 'get older'? I've found I get 8000km (front) or 5000km (rear) from GP4S so they're less than 9 months old (max) when I replace them (because of too many nicks in the rolling surface, not because that's worn down or because of sidewall deterioration). Is a tyre a year old an 'old' tyre?

yogiblair

I have 32mm tyres on my flat bar road. I was thinking of going down to 28mm as “they will be faster” but there has definitely been some interesting reading on here to ponder. Does anybody have a link to data that shows 28mm vs 32mm? Thanks

Top Bottom