Difference between tyre widths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive never tried those but i know alot of people on here think they are great . I didnt get on with conti's gator skins so switched to the schwalbe ones for a while . Then i was given a set of the grand sport race to try and kept them on my training wheels and bought another set for the road bike .

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yes, I have heard many good things about them. I don't know much about the GatorSkin, only that it obviously combats punctures etc. I have done some research and people do massively rate the Espoir tyres that I have, I just want something a bit jazzier and quicker.

U

User482

Well I like the Pro Ones, I may just get the same width, just a better quality.

I guess I want thin tyres because I have always been under the impression that they are faster! But maybe that's naivity - as I said, be gentle on me - tyres are not my strong set!
Two things to remember about the Pro Ones is that they are a bit fragile (susceptible to cuts IME) and measure up big - my 25mm tyres measured 28mm.

U

User482

I can't have the One Pro as my rims are not tubeless compatible :wacko:
You can actually - the important thing is to use tubeless tyres.

Personally, because I can run lower pressures without inducing a pinch flat, I find I can ride faster on 25s, than on 23s because I can go faster, with less uncomfortable jarring.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm going to assume you have got these wheels/tyres (as bought) on your Specialized 2018 Sport Allez:
Rims: Axis Sport
Front Tyre: Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25mm
Rear Tyre: Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25mm
You need 'clincher' tyres, not tubeless or tubular.
As others have said, 25s (ie 622-25 tyres) will be fine and you will not gain with 23s. In duathlons they will not set hilly cycle routes so the weight saving (minimal 25-->23) will offer negligible benefit. Narrow tyres at high pressure offer speed advantage on very smooth surfaces (eg indoor tracks) but on real roads, more air is more comfortable and the speed differential is debatable.
I think you are right to replace the Espoirs if you're going to make one change to the spec.
Your frame may well not have clearance to fit tyres wider than 25 (look at how much space you have now, and measure the Espoirs (at 100psi)). You're going to use these tyres to train and so as well as 'fast' (low rolling resistance) they need to be robust (ie high puncture protection factor) and have a reasonable life (ie durable).
I suggest you have a good browse and play on this site which independently tests and reports on a very wide range of tyres. You can compare three tyres 'side by side' - for example:
compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-V-schwalbe-one-vguard-clincher-V-vittoria-corsa-graphene-2016
Personally (and others will have other preferences) I would choose a pair of Continental GP4000 SII 622-25.
As far as pressures are concerned, mount your new tyres, measure the actual width (at 100psi, say) and then use the chart (load on wheel vs width of tyre) on the attachment to decide what pressure you want front and rear (probably 15psi less in the front)

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I'm going to assume you have got these wheels/tyres (as bought) on your Specialized 2018 Sport Allez:
Rims: Axis Sport
Front Tyre: Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25mm
Rear Tyre: Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25mm
You need 'clincher' tyres, not tubeless or tubular.
As others have said, 25s (ie 622-25 tyres) will be fine and you will not gain with 23s. In duathlons they will not set hilly cycle routes so the weight saving (minimal 25-->23) will offer negligible benefit. Narrow tyres at high pressure offer speed advantage on very smooth surfaces (eg indoor tracks) but on real roads, more air is more comfortable and the speed differential is debatable.
I think you are right to replace the Espoirs if you're going to make one change to the spec.
Your frame may well not have clearance to fit tyres wider than 25 (look at how much space you have now, and measure the Espoirs (at 100psi)). You're going to use these tyres to train and so as well as 'fast' (low rolling resistance) they need to be robust (ie high puncture protection factor) and have a reasonable life (ie durable).
I suggest you have a good browse and play on this site which independently tests and reports on a very wide range of tyres. You can compare three tyres 'side by side' - for example:
compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-V-schwalbe-one-vguard-clincher-V-vittoria-corsa-graphene-2016
Personally (and others will have other preferences) I would choose a pair of Continental GP4000 SII 622-25.
As far as pressures are concerned, mount your new tyres, measure the actual width (at 100psi, say) and then use the chart (load on wheel vs width of tyre) on the attachment to decide what pressure you want front and rear (probably 15psi less in the front)

This post is fantastic! and a huge amount of help! Thanks so much @Ajax Bay :wub: I am definitely liking the Continental tyres , the reviews are brilliant. I would not want to wider than 25mm. It would either be 25 or 23. My current Espoirs are lovely to train on, but I would like something a little punchier for the track. I do not do off road duathlon, the track is very smooth and has one steep short incline and a longer slower incline on the course.

I will definitely check that site out when I get home. I am pretty narrow minded when it comes to tyres, I have always used Schwalbe because of the quality and price, but these Continental S2's are looking better and are on a big saving on Evans at the minute as well.

Top Bottom