Digital camera and binoculars for safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking to go to Kenya on safari in December and think will need a decent digital camera (not just phone) and binoculars. I have a Nikon point and press which was quite decent a fair few years ago (battery seems to be dead as won't turn on / charge, but think functions otherwise)

Any suggestions, camera must be fairly small, easy to use, a decent zoom and function in low light I guess most important. I prefer a hole to look through rather than just a screen if such a thing is still done in the 21st century :biggrin:

Cost...ummm... up to £400-500 for camera, couple of hundred for binoculars maybe?

Alternative is an upgrade to iPhone pro for pics!!!

Panasonic TZ series. Some have a viewfinder, albeit electronic rather than optical. Good zoom range and fairly durable. We have three different models and the oldest has been dropped from bikes and all sorts of abuse but still works.

Binocs are IMO something you need to try for yourself, especially if you use specs. I have some Opticron 10x42 Countryman and find them excellent

D

Deleted member 23692

Seconded on the Panasonic TZ. I've got the TZ90 - massive zoom range and 4k vid too

I'd recommend Vortex. not heard of much in this country, but in the US (where they are made) they are a very well respected optic company especially known for top quality firearms optics.

I got a a pair of Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 from WEX a couple of years ago and can't fault them.. even come with a quality chest case/harness.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1PGpLC2E2U&ab_channel=Sportsman%27sWarehouse

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought some Opticron Discovery 8x42 binoculars for Mrs because she's a quite keen birdwatcher. I was amazed at how good they are for the money. I don't know anything about safaris but my guess is that you won't be wandering about on foot as much as a birder so you can probably afford to carry a heavier pair than 8X42s.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Of course you could just not go on safari and help save the planet .... apart from the reduction in earnings of all of the safari supply chain people ...
Just go on safari .....👍

Gillstay

Über Member
Just bought some Zeiss 8x42 and they are very impressive at £330 notes but the Opticron ones were almost as good at £200.

Binos magnify shake. You need steady hands with 10x ( or anti shake correction system). I usually suggest 8x. Pro grade marine binos are 7x ( everything is moving)
If you are watching at dawn or dusk ( when stuff happpens) you need good light transmission glass (£££) and/or a wide front lens. The aim is to get an exit pupil the same diameter as your pupils in low light. For the same size front lens, lower power has a wider exit pupil and is better in low light.
Midrange reputable optics company ones are good. The premium ones are better . My Leica 8x22 have tiny front lens but such good transmission. Also the optical quality is maintained from centre of the image to the edge.
8x30 to about 8x42 may be best. Size and weight also factor.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Of course you could just not go on safari and help save the planet .... apart from the reduction in earnings of all of the safari supply chain people ...
Just go on safari .....👍
And people could not have children or not eat meat or not own a car, or ride a motorbike etc etc etc…but hey each to their own huh

see ya…

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Binos magnify shake. You need steady hands with 10x ( or anti shake correction system). I usually suggest 8x. Pro grade marine binos are 7x ( everything is moving)
If you are watching at dawn or dusk ( when stuff happpens) you need good light transmission glass (£££) and/or a wide front lens. The aim is to get an exit pupil the same diameter as your pupils in low light. For the same size front lens, lower power has a wider exit pupil and is better in low light.
Midrange reputable optics company ones are good. The premium ones are better . My Leica 8x22 have tiny front lens but such good transmission. Also the optical quality is maintained from centre of the image to the edge.
8x30 to about 8x42 may be best. Size and weight also factor.
Agree. I bought Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 as an exceptional all-rounder for sensible money at about the tipping point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

For photography, you need a big magnification. A mid sized sensor ( APS or 4/3 format is good in the high mag range). You can get electronic viewfinder ones from Panasonic. Get a long lens with anti shake. Full frame pro-am models are bigger and heavier.
All in one ( non changeable lens) can work. This is highly rated.

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1000​

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m not looking for professional quality, just decent photos from something as small and simple as possible!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Given you are doing this as a one-off trip, and you will also be on a vehicle I assume, then lugging gear around is less of an issue, I might be tempted to look on the s/h SLR market

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Given you are doing this as a one-off trip, and you will also be on a vehicle I assume, then lugging gear around is less of an issue, I might be tempted to look on the s/h SLR market
Arent they complicated to use, it’s a shortish trip, I don’t really want to be learning how to use a complicated gadget (definitely not my strong suit!)
Google links seems to rate the Sony RX100 various compact models for safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom