Ding in a frame - problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stupidly leant my pride and joy Ridgeback Expedition bike (26 inch wheels) against a concrete post (lesson learned) and it slipped - lots of scrapes on the top bar paintwork I can live with I suppose - battle scars - not a bike that needs to look pristine anyway.

But there are two dings/indentations/dimples on the top bar - one tiny, one a bit bigger. But no sign of cracking or a sharp edge I stress.

Need I be worried about any loss of structural strength? I should perhaps say that although I am of moderate (I like to think) weight, the bike is sometimes loaded up to high heaven with bulky heavy camping gear (and have just bought a near 5kg tent for winter camping) as anyone who saw me on the 2017 Dunwich Dynamo will know.

The frame is Reynolds 520.

Initial web research suggests I will be OK but seeking advice from you knowledgeable folk.

Will try to bring it along on this Sunday's London cchat ride in case any framemeisters are along and want to take a look at it.

On the smaller issue of the paintwork, I seem to remember seeing recommendations to use nail polish to prevent rust. Good idea? I know women use some formidable cosmetics at times but is it really up to bike prepping?

Thanks in anticipation/worry.

minininjarob

It will probably be ok but a picture with a ruler showing how big the issue is would help.

Lots of mountain bikers used to continue riding bikes in the 90's after denting their top tubes with the (fashionable at the time) slammed straight bars - with no issues. 520 is a pretty thick tubeset anyway.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Ta for the reply - will try to take a pic though I fear it will be hard to photograph.

Am always amazed by how thin-walled many bike tubes are.

Other contributions welcomed.

Drago

Legendary Member
I rode a frame with a significantly bigger dent than that for years, no problem. And that was Reynolds 653 - positively skimpy compared to 520.

On a completely unrelated note, what did you do in the end with that 653 frame that snapped and caused you to sever an Arm?

Last edited:
Top Bottom