Ding in a frame - problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No problem with those dents. Many bike frames are deliberately dented to create space for the rear wheel or the FD. As long as there are no sharp transitions of stress it'll be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
how does 725 relate to that?

My Hewitt is 725.

653 is a mix of 753 and 531 tubes. 725 is the higher end of the modern Reynolds cromo, I don't think it's quite as thin as 753.

midlife

Guru
It's easier to work with.

The modern steel is 953 - I'd have a Rourke 953 if I was still riding road....

Not a slopey top tube in sight :smile:

file.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not a slopey top tube in sight :smile:

View attachment 434617

I couldn't have moved from a Frank Herety SLX with 7400 Dura Ace to anything other than a Rourke 953 with either DA or Record. Things changed.

Still with British companies, but just look at some of the Hope video's building their mountain bike, the HB160. OMG... gotta have one if my broken back case works out - will be nice and extra comfy on my canal rides - the 130mm travel isn't enough on my cheapo Boardman.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Blue Hills I've got a bigger dent than yours on my Genesis, acquired in the same way as you did wit your bike.
I've just put a sticker over it, don't think about it anymore, it happened when the bike was almost new.
The LBS saw it, did not say it was unsafe to ride.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for the reassurance pat.

By the by, have had the good news that Humbrol model enamel paint no. 3 (Brunswick Green) is a near perfect match for most british racing green paint jobs. Tis thus true that cycling returns you to the simple pleasures of childhood. Haven't used those tiny pots since my cack-handed childhood misadventures with airfix kits, and british racing green has been a favourite colour of mine since childhood. So a great choice of colour for my bike, if a tad ironic as it is often loaded up like a tipper truck.

Thanks again folks.

midlife

Guru

By the by, have had the good news that Humbrol model enamel paint no. 3 (Brunswick Green) is a near perfect match for most british racing green paint jobs. Tis thus true that cycling returns you to the simple pleasures of childhood. Haven't used those tiny pots since my cack-handed childhood misadventures with airfix kits, and british racing green has been a favourite colour of mine since childhood. So a great choice of colour for my bike, if a tad ironic as it is often loaded up like a tipper truck.

Thanks again folks.

Sometimes easier to use a cocktail stick than a brush :smile:

OP
OP
Blue Hills

Thanks again folks.
Have since discovered that these folks stock a humbrol actually labelled British Racing Green, and there are a few near me in London.

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/humbrol-acrylic-gloss-british-racing-12ml/590236-1019

Truly it is god's own colour.

Top Bottom