Disappointing Schwalbe Lugano tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
As the title says I'm rather disappointed with the second lot of Laguno tyres I've got. There were being used on my winter bike and unlike the first lot (which were very good) these have not lasted long at all. They've still got plenty of tread but they have both failed over the months from developing egg shaped bulges. This weekend im going to have to replace them as they are starting to look unsafe. As the bike is primarily a winter bike, I think I will invest in some Continental Gatorskins. Hopefully they will be fairly puncture proof and last a little longer than the Luganos on the harsh winter roads.It's almost as if the quality standards of Schwalbe have taken a step backwards. :bicycle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I moved away from Lugano's a couple of years ago after a similar issue. These days I use their Rubino tyres as I find Gatorskins too slippy.

Gator skins are known as skater skins, because of their legendary lack of grip. I’d agree that Schwalbe seem to have dropped the ball of late as well though. Even the latest set of Durano plus I’ve bought have cut up a lot worse than previous sets I’ve had for winter riding. I’ve found that the Continentals haven’t faired any better recently either.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I stick with my good old Veloflex Open Corsas, winter and summer, for their amazing grip and smooth ride. I'm not a commuter so puncture resistance matters less to me. The rate of puncturing is acceptable at probably one every 500 to 750 miles.

I always see comments about Gatorskins having poor grip, yet I've used them for years, I've just replaced my last set of 23's with a new pair of 25's, and I've never had any grip issues with them.

Granted I don't ride as much as many others, but I've ridden them in all conditions, (except extreme winter), and I think they're great all round tyres.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I always see comments about Gatorskins having poor grip, yet I've used them for years, I've just replaced my last set of 23's with a new pair of 25's, and I've never had any grip issues with them.

Granted I don't ride as much as many others, but I've ridden them in all conditions, (except extreme winter), and I think they're great all round tyres.

But if you tried a more grippy tyre you may well be surprised.

I used to swear by Michelin motorcycle tyres until i got some Pirelli corsa tyres
I was amazed at the difference, price was same too

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I had so many punctures with luganos it was ridiculous.also they come bottom of the rolling resistance list so they are slow.

Using Michelin endurance at the moment .very pleased.They aren't cheap to but but will do big mileages.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I moved away from Lugano's a couple of years ago after a similar issue. These days I use their Rubino tyres as I find Gatorskins too slippy.
On the epic distances you have done I'm surprised the big rolling resistance of the lugs was acceptable .

Rowano

Interesting to hear the comments on gatorskins. I used them for communing through park tracks with thorns, salt and broken glass so I really appreciated their puncture resistance. Now I ride more for pleasure and changed to gp4000s a few months ago and the improvement in http and resistance was easily noticeable. Unfortunately they haven't stood up to Scotland's road so well with the salt and grit :pump:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all the advice given. After reading all the posts on this subject I'm starting to have my doubts about shodding the bike with Gatorskins. The bike they would be going on is my old steel framed pug that's kitted out with full mud guards. It's not designed for breaking land speed records ( just like me) but more for letting me to continue enjoying cycling in the depths of winter. A lot of my winter cycling is done after work on remote roads in the darkness ,and the thought of getting a puncture out in the middle of nowhere on pitch black roads is not exactly appealable to me. As the roads are always very wet and muddy this time of year ,Gatorskins way not be the best choice with there reported lack of grip the wet. There also quite expensive too, so I think I will take the advice given by a fellow member and get some Marathons. Hopefully they will be reasonably grippy and extremely puncture resistant. Granted they will feel slow compared to slicks ,but this time of the year my cycling goals are more about just getting the miles in with as little drama and fuss as possible. When the warmer lighter days return the light weight Specialized bike will be put back into service and hopefully I will feel the benefits of it after using the heavy old winter bike. Many thanks for all your help and advice and hopefully my choice of tyre will be the right one for winter riding.
All the very best and Happy New Year:snowball::huh::snowball:

vickster

Legendary Member
I personally found marathon + as slippy as the Gatorskins without any of the rolling benefit and expensive . Tbh I’d look at other options like the £12 Rubinos

Top Bottom