Disappointing Schwalbe Lugano tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again. Please accept any bad spelling as I'm getting used to my new phone. Today I was in desperate need for new tyres,, so whatever the bike shops had in, I was going to have to take whatever they could offer.
The local bike shops really didn't have anything on offer unfortunately ,but I did manage to pick up some gatorskins at a cheap price of £18.They were from Halfords of all places The staff had forgotten to take the black Friday sale off the display shelf and sold them on to me for the £18. I couldn't resist a bargain and duly bought these. Had a bit of a wresting match getting them on the rim, but with a spot of washing up liquid to lubricate the tyre bead I managed to get them fitted.Time will tell no doubt as to my opinions on them.
Thanks for all your help out there
Johnny

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Good price for a decent tyre. I have recently switched to Marathons and do find them grippier than the Gators. Only time will tell as to the puncture protection and longevity of the Marathons.
I got through the Gators pretty quickly compared to what most people seem to get mileage wise on here

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm getting very good results from Durano Plus Etape folding tyres (£16 from Spa) - low wear, really good grip, no p*nct*r*s and they're pretty fast considering there is a SmartGuard layer, like M+ but not as thick. I think the Etape bit is just labelling, so Durano Plus folding would be the same. I would avoid normal wired-on Duranos as they have a stupidly low maximum pressure and you can't get enough air in the 23mm ones to avoid pinch flats. They blow off the rim at about 120psi.

I've tried various other tyres for winter commuting but they were either too slippy, too puncture-prone (UltraGatorSkins are useless if there is glass about) or too heavy.

Top Bottom