Discrimination and Loss of "freedom of movement" for poor and disabled

Is exclusion and discrimination of the poor and disabled in regards to cycling a serious problem?

• yes

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • no

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I am ignorant on the issue (lack of knowledge, not dumb)

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • your trolling

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • your not trolling

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • They are a danger and should not be allowed (for what ever reason)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I never knew I was discriminating by "exclusion"

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don't want them cycling and think you need to be silenced

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • please educate me

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • TMI (if this is your selection please PM as to why)

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

Bike Alliance of Minnesota (BikeMn)
Is a state wide organization, working with government and local bike advocacy groups to make Minnesota a more bicycle friendly place, so people ride more often.
www.BikeMN.org

Minnesota Cycle Federation (MCF)
An organization comprised of bicycle racing clubs whose purpose is the education and promotion of bicycle racing skills, safety and the promotion of races for bicycle racers.
http://www.mcf.net/

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)
Offering bicyclist important information for trip planning; safety tips; and links to other State Agencies in Minnesota involved in Bicycling issues.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/bike

Minnesota Non-motorized Transportation Advisory Committee (MNTAC)
A committee established to advise the Commissioner of Transportation and other state officials on issues pertaining to bicycle transportation in Minnesota.
http://www.mnsbac.org

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
Maintaining and protecting Minnesota’s natural resources for those interested in biking and other outdoor recreational activities.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/biking/index.html

Parks & Trail Council of Minnesota
The council exists to acquire, protect and enhance Minnesota’s critical lands for the public's enjoyment now and in the future.
www.parksandtrails.org

Share The Road Minnesota
Bicycle safety on Minnesota's streets and roads is a top priority. So Mn/DOT and MNTEC have joined together as partners to eliminate deaths and reduce injuries due to bicycle-motor vehicle collisions.
www.sharetheroadmn.org

Minnesota Department of Health
Physical activity is a public health priority impacting nearly every aspect of health. Lack of physical activity, combined with a poor diet, is the second leading cause of preventable death and disease in the United States and a huge economic burden on the state. Increasing dependence on cars, televisions, computers and other similar conveniences make physical activity less a part of our daily lives.
www.health.state.mn.us/physicalactivity

Explore Minnesota Tourism
There is something for everyone to explore in Minnesota. from places to stay; Things to do; Where to go; Events; Deals; Travel Ideas; and Planning tools, you will find it all at Explore Minnesota.
www.exploreminnesota.com/index.aspx

Local

Bicycling in Minneapolis
Ranked #2 in the nation for cycling, the City of the Lakes Bicycle Program helps those who live and work in Minneapolis use bikes to lower pollution while encouraging cost-effective and healthy way to travel.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles

Bike Edina
Supports all levels of biking while connecting key destinations, including safe routes to schools while integrating with the Twin Cities’ regional bike network.
www.bikeedina.org

Bike Walk Twin Cities
Working to promote more biking and walking opportunities in the Twin City area.
www.bikewalktwincities.org

Metro Transit
Offering programs to expand the area Twin City cyclist can cover.
http://metrotransit.org/bike/index.asp

Three Rivers’ Parks
Offering more than 200 miles of paved and unpaved trails that wind through and safely connecting several of the Three Rivers' parks together.
http://threeriversparkdistrict.org

Transit for Livable Communities (TLC)
Working to reform Minnesota's transportation system through advocacy, organizing, and research to promote a balanced system that encourages transit, walking, bicycling, and thoughtful development.
www.tlcminnesota.org

You telling me, that none of these could offer you any advice?

Noodley

Have you considered forming an action group.

In addition to this helpful bit of advice from Cyclopathic, have you considered making sense?

classic33

Leg End Member
He has posted
13,899 Words
61,908 (No Spaces)
75,997 Characters(With Spaces)
37 Paragraphs
995 Lines
Which totals
16 Pages, A4, (Half inch margin all round, Arial 10)
and still I have no clear idea what exactly his problem is & how he feels we can sort it out.

I have to ask this, but has anyone educated him? That you are aware of.
And has anyone PM'd him with regards TMI?

People said "!" was bad, when posted, by myself.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Constitution of the United States
Article. IV.
Section. 1.
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
Section. 2.
The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Canrider

Guru
Let's go back to #110:
[QUOTE 2074507, member: 45"]I think it would be appropriate to raise something here. I'm reluctant to, as it's a personal matter, but as the OP has himself raised the issue I'm not stepping over any gate that he hasn't already opened.

And that's about social communication. There are disorders (ASD being one) which impair the ability to understand both what's appropriate in communication and also interpretation on both sides. If this is present then it can be difficult for the communicator to both interpret what's being said to him/her (primarily as a result of a tendency to take everything literally) and also to appreciate how their communication comes across.

Whatever our knee-jerk response is to what's being said, I think it's right that this is born in mind on this thread.[/quote]

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
OP, I have no wish to have a "My deafness is greater than yours" pi55ing contest with you but if someone were to whisper into my left ear from a few inches away then I would not hear them! Friends of mine know that they should sit on my right side and if I am driving a RHD car to either speak up or shut up! You mention hearing aids - none will aid my deafness.
You mention the 'lifesaver' check and that means you are not looking forward. Now how long does it take to do a 'lifesaver'? Do not tell me in seconds but rather in distance travelled. I am not interested in what is happening within a few yards of my fromt wheel; it is already too late to react.
How are you defining poor? I think Elton John has been quoted as being poor because "I am down to my last 50 million"! I often ride with the owner of my LBS, he had a nice Trek Madone with the latest Shimano ekectronics (I have a Trek 2.5 set up as a light, fast tourer) Am I poor because I cannot afford his bike or maybe I do not want it. However if anyone here want to buy me a Trek Madone, I normally ride a 62 cm frame but will accept a smaller one as it will be easier to sell!
You talk about your disabilities - think of them as difabilities (different abilities) Older members here may remember the TV personality Patrick Campbell from 'Call My Bluff'; compared to me he was a fluent speaker. I have not concentrated on what I cannot do but rather on what I can do and suggest you do the same..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not having read the entire thread, a couple pages back I noticed you saying you couldn't use a rearview mirror because you needed to hear traffic coming in order to know to look in it.

This doesn't entirely make sense to me:
- In a car you can't generally hear traffic behind you, you should be periodically checking your mirrors as you drive along. Surely this is the same if you're riding a bike with mirrors?
- On a bike even if you can hear, I find wind noise makes it impossible for me to hear much of what's behind me unless it's very loud and very close.
- People cycle with earphones in. I don't, and some claim they're foolish to do so, but the earphone wearers are not dying under car wheels in any great numbers despite not being able to hear oncoming traffic.
I agree.
I have ridden with cyclists who are deaf, on the road and some (not all) do use mirrors but in the same way that a hearing cyclist can't look behind continually neither can the deaf cyclist look in the mirror all the time. Some cyclists find it difficult to look behind and therefore use a mirror instead.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've been reading this thread (with difficulty, English as a third language for me!) for curiosity, it's good to know what happens outside the uk from, so to speak, the horse's mouth, not the BBC news :smile:

In a nutshell, it seems that the op's problems as a cyclist are the very same we face here, he thinks he's the only one in the world feeling pushed about on the road when on a bike.
I can assure him this is not so! :laugh:

Disabled Rider, we cannot help, but we can keep you company.
If you read the commuting forum, you will see what the UK riders face every time they set out for work on their bike :hello:

on the road

Über Member
DR reminds me of someone I know, this guy has cerebral palsy although he's quite bright. But because of his disability it means that he can't take part in some activities with them being physical so he had the attitude that the world was against him and that no one liked him.

Longshot

DR reminds me of someone I know, this guy has cerebral palsy although he's quite bright. But because of his disability it means that he can't take part in some activities with them being physical so he had the attitude that the world was against him and that no one liked him.

I have a wheelchair-bound friend who is completely the opposite. From before I first knew him when we were both teenagers, his attitude is that if he wants to do it he'll find a way. Aided and abetted by a group of friends who felt the same the way, he's achieved some amazing stuff in his life. His most recent achievement was at the Paralympics Opening Ceremony as the singer in the Ian Dury set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom