Discrimination and Loss of "freedom of movement" for poor and disabled

Is exclusion and discrimination of the poor and disabled in regards to cycling a serious problem?

• yes

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • no

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I am ignorant on the issue (lack of knowledge, not dumb)

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • your trolling

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • your not trolling

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • They are a danger and should not be allowed (for what ever reason)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I never knew I was discriminating by "exclusion"

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don't want them cycling and think you need to be silenced

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • please educate me

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • TMI (if this is your selection please PM as to why)

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

A lot of poor people have cars! What is your definition of poor?

To some people you would be classed as rich as you get free money from the govermant and
your health care is paid for as well. Is it just a case of

'Infamy, Infamy they've all got it Infamy'

Kenneth-Williams-in-Carry-001.jpg

You want heaven and earth on a silver plate, and you ramble on that your poor yet you have superior inteligence!
Get a job and don't blame other people and say 'society' keeps you down. That's utter tosh!

Clean yourself up, improve your attitude and take your medication and do somthing apart from sitting on your bottom
and blameing everyone but yourself.

You can't be that poor if you can afford to access the internet and have a computer, pluss waste all that money on bike parts.
Paid by the govermant and state,that is keeping you down:whistle: 'I think you protest to much!'

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Average American made bike is in excess of $1000, not the imported stuff. Imported stuff is mainly priced off the cost of living of cheap labor over seas. That $1000+ is based on the cost of living here.
Are you talking of American made bikes or American assembled? You can still get sub $500 machines made by Bike Nashbar, Trek and Schwinn

OP
OP
D

disabled rider

Regular
A lot of poor people have cars! What is your definition of poor?

To some people you would be classed as rich as you get free money from the govermant and
your health care is paid for as well. Is it just a case of

'Infamy, Infamy they've all got it Infamy'

You want heaven and earth on a silver plate, and you ramble on that your poor yet you have superior inteligence!
Get a job and don't blame other people and say 'society' keeps you down. That's utter tosh!

Clean yourself up, improve your attitude and take your medication and do somthing apart from sitting on your bottom
and blameing everyone but yourself.

You can't be that poor if you can afford to access the internet and have a computer, pluss waste all that money on bike parts.
Paid by the govermant and state,that is keeping you down:whistle: 'I think you protest to much!'

I could not find the send private message function I assume there isn't one then?

This is meant as a private message regarding "to get a job" which was off topic. I was stating fact that I am 100% unemployable. There is NOTHING I can change about myself that is going to change that FACT.. 100% of 29 Employers REFUSE to hire, When I tell them Facts about me, I can not withhold from them Under law. Like the chance that I might turn blue, on the job or carried by ambulance from the job site etc. Its criminal negligence on my part to withhold it, by our employment laws. I have done nothing criminal, They are impairment related to which they do not want to deal with(EXCLUSION). All 29 positions I was over qualified for. Almost all of them kept their for hire signs up, all of them were only hiring for 1 position or had a couple for same position.

I do not have the resources to start my own business. I do not have any official degree beyond High school. Colleges won't train in a manor consistent to the way I learn. Been there done that, I do not have the financial resources to pay highly individualized training. I can not change my learning style, its a hard wired process, its not an excuse.

When I point things out why I am unemployable its NOT blaming

I am suspecting you really do not understand exclusion. I been talking about. Those are acts by other people, To which you have no direct control over. I did not make laws rules etc to which we have to live by. Those things are blocking my ability to do the things in which you insist I do. I am not the only one saying this about my case. SSA is saying it and several professionals I see are saying it as well. If it was something I could change They would have told me, in order to help me.

I also do have professional help which you would known if you had actually read my posts all the way through. Medication Does not work on me. Because it is not an organic chemical imbalance issue.

I do not know what made you make such an obtuse comment. I could also counter that you were making an excuse for not changing your behavior towards your excluding people. Point is, I am trying to show you how obtuse the comment about get a job was. I was simply trying to get you to realize how uncalled for that comment was. Of course there is no basis for my comment about you making excuses and I did not mean it.

High intelligence does not always = employable. especially if they are not willing to brake the rules our society lives by.

Personality is also another thing that can not be changed and its not the same as attitude. personality is hardwired, attitude is a behavior by choice. My personality was altered by the torture in my past this is not blame it is fact.

I forgive you for the get a job comment if you don't take the one I made about you making excuses personally, since it is just as a counter example to show a point..

Yea I could lie to an employer. Or I could steal, which could be a job. Or if I did get a job I could bully a coworker so I could get a better position/pay. I do not want to do those things. So I been advocating on changing the rules that would allow me to work within the rules that is fair and just. can't change the rules till you expose the dirty laundry. Exposing the dirty laundry by using personal example is not blame as far as I know.

The get a job comment is a raw one for me because it rubs in a way that is out of my control.

I would agree with you about blaming if it was things I had direct control over. Like having access to a showering facility, before going into our apartment building so I could freshen up and not have BO that people find offensive after I been biking. I go in stinking anyway and blame them for being around me when I stink and they are offended by the BO

If I do not have a way to control it then its not my doing , Pointing that out is not blame.

Blame is more to do with accusing someone of something they did not do. like your kid dies and you blame their friend for your kids death, when their friend, had nothing at all do do with it. Like saying to the friend you should have been there, if you had, they would be alive right now.

only reason I posted this after I said I left was My browser was still open when I went to shut the system down.

Disabled rider Now I am turning my computer off.

Oldspice

DR You really do talk a lot of tosh most of the times. Regarding the status of car ownership any one can get one, it has nothing to do with rich or poor. Your trouble is, is that your to busy playing the victim.

See a social worker or a doctor/counselor that treats mental health problems, you really do need help in sorting out the hole you have secured yourself into.

OP
OP
D

disabled rider

Regular
Are you talking of American made bikes or American assembled? You can still get sub $500 machines made by Bike Nashbar, Trek and Schwinn
sub 500 made in china or other low cost labor, not usa the materials too expensive in the USA to make sub 500$ not to mention labor wages, company insurance etc. The above 1000 is made in the USA The imported ones breaks the cost of living model that is why its so devastating to economy stability. The sub 500 is not based on the USA cost of living scale. It is based on another economy scale china tiwan etc..

Oldspice

Your talking 'Tosh!' once again DR. You can use a computer and your mobile. Your more than able to get a job with your curent skills(being smarter than all your class mates? ).
As for no employer will hire you because you have to declare your 'Medical condition' that is even more tosh and your just shirking away from the fact that you don't want to get a job as it will involve having to deal with other people in a mature way.

You enjoy this 'Big Brother World' that you have gotten yourself into. Clean yourself up and spend less time hateing and more time talking to a health advisor who can help you get back into society and get a job, either working at a place of business or working from home.

I forgot, the universe wont let you get a job, just benifit checks and section 8 housing and leave you to fest in your own misery......with cable.....computer....internet....refrigaration....furniture....soap....water.....electric... etc etc

Oldspice

sub 500 made in china or other low cost labor, not usa the materials too expensive in the USA to make sub 500$ not to mention labor wages, company insurance etc. The above 1000 is made in the USA The imported ones breaks the cost of living model that is why its so devastating to economy stability. The sub 500 is not based on the USA cost of living scale. It is based on another economy scale china tiwan etc..

Tosh. I've looked on the net. There are shed loads of bikes $500 or less.

OP
OP
D

disabled rider

Regular
Tosh. I've looked on the net. There are shed loads of bikes $500 or less.
KNow I am not discussing this with you you missed the conversation and the comments are not even related to the topic regarding the 500 vs the above 500. Your comment is made outside the context of the discussion.

I was explaining about poverty over several posts. which you either failed to read failed to understand or chose to ignore the other relevant posts on the issue of what poverty is.

there is 2 poverty.

poverty 1 poverty of pure numbers just looking at totals this is what your trying to use to fight disagree with me about. your choosing to use the African argument against me that because I have the things you mentioned That Africans don't That I am not poor. This poverty has its place but not in this discussion.

poverty 2 Then there is poverty which is based on the cost of living in which a person finds themselves. If their income is BELOW the cost of living THEN NECESSITIES can not be purchased. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poverty Quote "the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support;" This is what I been describing all along. I had to sell other stuff to get the computer. If I wasn't poor I would not have needed to do that. No refrigerator NO way to store certain foods so it is a necessity. its built in to the rent so it doesn't factor in your equation. NONE of the appliances are mine I don't even have "air conditioning", which is NOT supplied by the landlord. If I wasn't poor I could afford one. I do not have cable which most others do. Internet is a necessity of communication for me because of hearing, Other forms of communication do not have the connectivity that computer has for communicating. Not to mention those services are on par to what I am paying for the internet. My computer dies I will not be able to replace it. Any non poor around here would be able to replace it.. I do not spend money on trivial things. I need boots and shoes both are falling apart big hole in shoes and sole of boots is split in two. If I could replace them I would have LONG AGO. I don't go to movies. I go to library where its free because I cant afford to waste money on movie theaters. TV dies I won't be able to replace it.

I DON"T LIVE IN AFRICA OR CHINA OR ANY OTHER 3RD OR 2ND WORLD.
MY expenses is based on cost of living HERE. IF I can not afford food transportation, shelter etc HERE I am considered EXTREME POOR. I can not PAY for the medical care the next person in my community can I am poor compared to them IN MY COMMUNITY. Not Africa.

So When I talked about 500$ bike it is extreme poor when talking about HERE based on cost of living here NOT elsewhere around the world. as being SOLE transportation read previous posts on it not going to rewrite it in entirety.

world economy is a farce when buying those 500 and under bikes you ruin the whole economy here. because the cost of living where the cheap crap was made was based on an entirely different economy.
trading between different system breaks the whole thing. There was balance at one time not now. I am not getting into this further it is an economy issue that in itself requires a whole other forum.

Point is in the end it comes down to cost of living and whether you have the resources to pay that cost. buying cheap crap from another country doesn't change that equation your still poor, If anything buying the cheap crap in long run costs you more out of pocket. Your having to constantly replace the cheap crap and the frequency of replacing adds up over 10-20 years. So having it now does not equate to not being poor as you perceive it. buying cheap now increases your cost of living in long run thus means in actuality you are poorer in the end.

Most I talk too do not understand this concept If you understand cost vs life expectancy of products in reality not what companies tell you it will last, You can predict how much it cost you in the long run vs buying higher quality initially. quick example let you do the math. cost of living buy a coffee maker for 45$ it last you 3 months how much is that after 20 years if you keep replacing it? then you buy high quality coffeemaker with 20 year lifetime warranty that cost $200. By the way this is a real world example. poor may not have the money to buy the long warranty one and in the end is forced to spend more or if they are smart like me try to find the long life one and save up over long period of time and go without in mean time. NO I do not have one. I stopped buying them after the 3rd break. once I ran the numbers. and coffee maker wasn't a necessity.

Whats that have to do with poor? increasing your cost of living and not increasing your income makes you poorer because you can no longer cover the cost of necessities.

If you can not understand that I give up.
Night
disabled rider

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Name me just one American bicycle that is made in the USA; everything on the bicycle must be made in the US and not just assembled there - you cannot use any Japanese or European parts!

The comment I wish to make causes me some difficulty.

I long ago come to the conclusion that anyone who wishes to post on this thread is daffy.

And if they are not daffy, will will make a good pinch hitter until a daffy guy comes along.

Now I have posted on this thread and must include myself in that number.

I am now officially daffy, in twelve different keys.

Bother!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The comment I wish to make causes me some difficulty.

I long ago come to the conclusion that anyone who wishes to post on this thread is daffy.

And if they are not daffy, will will make a good pinch hitter until a daffy guy comes along.

Now I have posted on this thread and must include myself in that number.

I am now officially daffy, in twelve different keys.

Bother!
I have a feeling you have visited this thread previously Mr Bajic, I guess that makes you double daffy and forgetful to boot :scratch:
I last posted around 5 pages ago on account of daffyness. I decided that nothing was going to drag me back in here and.....dagnabbit!

classic33

Leg End Member
OK I can tell you have no inkling Of anything I am talking about. Because of this DO NOT assume you know what I am thinking or try to interpret what I am saying using your own words.

By doing so you are completely changing what it is I been saying.

I can also tell your selective reading. I have explained in details as to my struggles about writing.. I KNOW I have difficulty writing. I POINTED it out I have difficulties. I also explained WHY I have difficulties.

Punctuation difficulties is not same thing as LEARNING DISABILITY. What your seeing is a symptom of the learning disability in action. Stop assuming and simply ask me "Why is your wring so hard to understand?" I have already given that answer.

based On what you wrote about your interpretation of what I wrote. You do not understand or can not comprehend what it is I said in actuality.

I am not advising opening say the Autobahn to cyclists. any cyclist is dead when dealing with drivers doing in excess of 115 not enough response time for the driver.

There are other major roads between places similar to 52.

63 I would not advocate because there is NO shoulder, and Is hilly.

I mentioned using a utility bike or bike with trailer which also indicates you really did not understand what I was talking about or didn't actually read critical posts. bike and trailer is 4 wheels. trailer rated 175 bike rated 325 combined its about 400- 475 depending on load placement. If you balance the load perfectly over the axle of the trailer, you get 500

I only refer to 52 is that is the highway where there is space that I am familiar. but It is not the only highway in the world that is like it.

I never assumed to know your road lay out, I had advised you folks to review your own roads and policy to ensure that the policy isn't being discriminatory based on false beliefs that oh its not safe, when it has wide shoulders and doesn't have sound barriers or retaining walls etc That would in actuality make it unsafe.

Making a blanket policy about all highways is not good.

but having a policy that if certain criteria are met then yes allow bikes, also keep in mind where they go and is there another CLOSE option few miles, NOT dozens.

Did I ever say you need to make every highway open to cyclist??? NO

Another thing you made a fatal mistake in regards to poor comparison. You compared me to someone in your community.
After I got done explaining what poor was. People within the "SAME community Sharing the SAME "cost of living"
I also had showed why you can't use your understanding of it through the African example comparison.

To our cost of living here vs other people here. You are considered extremely poor. If the highest level of transport you can afford is a bicycle of $500 or less. Riding a bus or cab here is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE. over the life time of the bicycle.
Average American made bike is in excess of $1000, not the imported stuff. Imported stuff is mainly priced off the cost of living of cheap labor over seas. That $1000+ is based on the cost of living here.

With my bike I have spent its life time about 5 - 6 years I maybe spent total $700-800ish(including replacement tires tubes cables seat etc.) ALL OF my transport needs. appointments, entertainment, cargo transporting, shopping, recreational riding, everything that involves going from point a to point b when leaving the building. When you take all of that in to account with cost of living. It was almost nothing. No luck at all.

your comparison would be valid, if I moved to Africa and kept by disability insurance. Then I could live as a king by their standards. My money could buy a hell of a lot more there. Then yes I would be lucky Because I could probably buy a African car , and fuel for the year, for 500$

You mate have little idea of what you are on about. I have read everyone of your posts on this thread & as I have said there appears to be more than one person behind the postings. Language barriers alone do not account for the different wording used.
First assumption made by me, on this matter, was that you were African. Second was that you were Eastern European. First assumption it would seem was correct.

You stated quite clearly you were being discriminated against on the grounds of dis-ability. When I said you see the car, then the dis-ability, you went & had a go at me for saying this. What I said was the truth, you are hiding behind the dis-ability. You are also hiding behind your curtains(off shade of yellow, with a floral pattern in light green) on the 2nd floor flat, which is SW facing. You have complained that the lift does not work. As a result you are carrying your bike & sometimes 200 pound load up three flights of stairs. You dislike this, and feel that it is discrimination on the grounds of being poor. If you were rich you could live somewhere else, better!, where the lifts work. You then would not have to walk up stairs. Presumably walking up & down stairs is only for the poor, in your book.
Note that in the UK
A flat is an apartment in the US. The 1st floor is the ground floor. Regional variations.

You have changed your tack from discrimination on the grounds of ability to discrimination on the ground of lack of money. Clearly stating that were you to move to another continent, Africa, you "could live as a king by their standards". Open discrimination & exclusion on your part, because then you would be rich & be able to afford a car. Leaving the poor, those who cannot afford a car, to ride a bike. The situation you now say you are in & because you are in it it is wrong. Its not wrong though if you were to be one of the "rich". Other than being able to afford a car & live in a building where the lift works, please give a clear definition of "rich" & "poor". In your opinion, of course.

I have said that I have a dis-ability. This dis-ability prevents me from driving, legally. I do not count it as discrimination. It prevents me from driving legally & because of that I cannot physically drive, other than in an open field and after being told, again, what I am to do(which pedal does what. What not to press/touch) This because I have had no inclination of learning to drive. If I could drive, I could have taken a better job long ago & then been able to afford a car. Whether I'd I've bought one is another matter.
The same dis-ability puts me in hospital on frequent occasions. Whilst there it limits the treatment that can be given. I've been refused important operations due to complications it caused once whilst having an operation. If I was "rich" then the surgeon could have been paid to do the operation.
A common thing I've noticed over the years, during these visits to various hospitals. I that I've been reported as being drunk or on something. Not the case, its the condition showing itself. Also common is the way in which you are asked to give/put a number to the pain. 10 being the worst pain possible.
If you take 10 as the point at which your body will pass out/black out due to the level of pain, then a snapped ankle in the weeks after snapping it got a clear 9.5. I could have taken painkillers, but I'd to weigh up the pro's & con's of doing so. They'd ease the pain without a doubt, but I'd have to be in hospital whilst they were being given. Just in case. They'd interfere with prescribed medication, which would then certainly put me into hospital, although in a more serious state. A base of skull fracture rated only 2 on this scale.

As said before by me you see the dis-ability first, not the ability. Get rid of that view & what you see will be a lot less. I now wonder if you actually know what you are trying to say.

You mate have little idea of what you are on about. I have read everyone of your posts on this thread & as I have said there appears to be more than one person behind the postings. Language barriers alone do not account for the different wording used.
First assumption made by me, on this matter, was that you were African. Second was that you were Eastern European. First assumption it would seem was correct.

A quick & simple IP check would answer that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom