Disgusted! Marathon+ tyres folded in transit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
Is it me or is it too much to ask for Chainreaction to send a pair of expensive tyres unfolded:ohmy:
They came by parcel force, surely a 26" flat parcel wouldn`t be too much to ask?

Never had tyres sent folded before, will they ever be the same, should I complain?

I`m very upset at the moment

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
it's normal and causes no problems. hang em up and they will be good as new

beancounter

Old timer said:
Is it me or is it too much to ask for Chainreaction to send a pair of expensive tyres unfolded:ohmy:
They came by parcel force, surely a 26" flat parcel wouldn`t be too much to ask?

Never had tyres sent folded before, will they ever be the same, should I complain?

I`m very upset at the moment

You're joking with us, right?

bc

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
beancounter said:
I mean that it's perfectly normal.

bc

Well at least that`s something, these are not just bent off of the straight line but the beads in places are 3" out of line.
So, fitted and inflated there will never be any trace that they were shipped this way and it will in no way affect there performance and the tyre will run true.?

Sorry if my post is a bit off

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just looked up Marathon Plus tyres and apparently they have wire beads. If they have been folded the wrong way then I can understand why Old Timer is upset - they won't just be as good as new the way that kevlar beaded tyres would be. On the other hand, it is possible to fold even wire beaded tyres into 3 loops in such a way that the beads are not damaged.

The big question is - what state are the tyres actually in? If the wire beads have major kinks in them then that really isn't good enough.

If the tyres had been carefully folded into loops then they should be okay. Incidentally, it is quite tricky to do this if you haven't been shown how - like this.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
I`ve just spoken to Chainreaction and they say the same as you lads BUT!! if I had asked for them to be sent out in a wheel box then they would have as more and more people are requesting just that.

I told them that I`ll be e mailing the sales manager anyway and when I fit them if they don`t run perfectly true then I`ll be asking for replacements and was told that my call has been logged and they will replace them no arguments.

Looking around I now realise that this is normal but you can`t tell me given the chance you would choose distorted tyres over flat ones? and I don`t suppose for a minute they were designed to be distorted before use.

People have been saying that these Marathons can be a bit difficult to fit! well if they come through the post like mine then I`m not surprised really.

Sorry if I came across narky but it`s a crying shame that anyone would want to send things out like this.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Well, they are fitted and they both went on without any soap or levers( I have got fairly large strong hands though)

Well they seem to be OK now they have 80lb in them, I`ll let them down top normal later( they say 60lb on them) so I suppose thats what they should set at(26 x 1.75) MTB/road bike electric.

Thanks all (calmer)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
tyres have probably always been sent like that. you just didn't know it because lbs dealt with them. do you think they come in flat boxes from the far east? or do you think they cram as many as possible into a container? hehe if you think that's bad, you should see how they handle your food in the factories...lol

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Old timer said:
Well, they are fitted and they both went on without any soap or levers( I have got fairly large strong hands though)

Well they seem to be OK now they have 80lb in them, I`ll let them down top normal later( they say 60lb on them) so I suppose thats what they should set at(26 x 1.75) MTB/road bike electric.

Thanks all (calmer)
WoW there heavy

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
when i got my tyres from chain-reaction they were folded (a bit like those net sun blinds you get for cars), and like you i was a bit shocked. but once on the bike they were fine.

i guess you have to fold them the right way ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
When I got my Marathon Winter studded tyres they were done in the 3 loop manner, worked fine etc. But I didn't take a lot of care when unfolding, those studs hurt when they wop you like that:biggrin:

Top Bottom