Disk brakes verses rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

My ebike has hydraulic rim brakes and have been trouble free .My first bike had disk on the front and rim on the back I was always having to adjust the disk brake ,my friends all have disk brakes on there's and always trying to adjust there's ,reading up on ebikes disk brakes seem to be popular but I prefer rim brakes what are your thoughts on this subject.

CXRAndy

Guru
When I got back into riding in my 40s, I bought an hydraulic disc braked bike. Ive never bought any bike without disc brakes.

Hang on my Planet Exo 3 TT is rim brakes :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ride mainly in London in quite heavy traffic and I've always found rim brakes to be fine in terms of stopping power.. However, @ianrauk of this parish recently pointed out to me that disk brakes save your wheel rims from wear. That could be a major plus if you do a reasonable mileage.
Especially on steep downhills in winter... I have worn a few rims out that way. There isn't much choice but to brake hard on some of the descents round here. When the rims are covered in wet, salty grit you can hear them being ground away. The blocks too.

I made the mistake of using my best wheels one winter a couple of years ago and I reckon the rims wore at least 50% in 2 or 3 months.

I'm going to switch to using my CX bike this coming winter. That has disk brakes AND decent mudguards.

Alex321

Veteran
The stopping power of hydraulic disc brakes, particularly in the wet mean that once I tried them, I will never go back to using rim brakes.

And I have found they need less maintenance, not more.

The ones you were continually having to adjust were probably cable disk brakes, not as good in many ways (though still superior to rim brakes in wet weather).

keithmac

Guru
The main downside to rim brakes is wheel wear for me. If I had the choice it would be disk brakes every time for that reason alone. I've got my old hub motor rear wheel to re-rim at some point.

I've run Shimano hydraulics for probably 10 years now and never had a need to adjust anything.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think rim wear, or lack thereof, is perhaps the real advantage of hydros.

Having said that, like their car driving brethren, too many riders don't know how to brake properly and 'comfort brake' at every opportunity, so just learning to ride properly can negate much of that disadvantage.

The oldest bike i own in regular use is 38 years old, and the Wolber rims are far from being seriously worn, which shows how narrow the advantage can be with a skilled rider.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think rim wear, or lack thereof, is perhaps the real advantage of hydros.

Having said that, like their car driving brethren, too many riders don't know how to brake properly and 'comfort brake' at every opportunity, so just learning to ride properly can negate much of that disadvantage.

The oldest bike i own in regular use is 38 years old, and the Wolber rims are far from being seriously worn, which shows how narrow the advantage can be with a skilled rider.
yeh but single speed penny farthings done go that fast, to need hydros :whistle::whistle: :okay:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Had my trusty steed for fifteen years, rim brakes and daily transport. Change brake blocks regularly and never had any issues at all. Same wheels from new.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ride mainly in London in quite heavy traffic and I've always found rim brakes to be fine in terms of stopping power.. However, @ianrauk of this parish recently pointed out to me that disk brakes save your wheel rims from wear. That could be a major plus if you do a reasonable mileage.

Huge plus for commuting ! I wore rims out in 18 months.

I've always found rim brakes to be fine, except for unexpected emergency stops in very wet conditions, where the wheel has to rotate at least once before the brakes bite.
I like my cable disk brakes and hardly ever have to adjust them.

Top Bottom