Distance or Speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
It's interplay. Longer lower intensity rides will help with CV fitness & increase your resistance to muscular fatigue, this means you can push harder on shorter rides. Higher intensity rides will help with recovery from fatigue & increase baseline power levels which will let you recover more easily from effort peeks on longer rides (say climbing) & will also mean that you're at a lower % of your FTP for the same speed which will allow you to ride for longer.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i have found that i can happily ride 20-40 miles in a day now with no muscle aches the following day (my knees are a differnt kettle of fish though) whereas before when i used to ride solely on the flat i struggled with 20! also i used to have an average speed of 14 MPH, i timed my old commute a while back and average went up to 18, i reckon i can get 20 mph over the 8 miles i used to do

the main difference now is that i attack hills on my commute and try to attack the hills so although my commute is shorter it means i have to put in a lot more effort! mix it up with long rides every now and again to get the legs used to it and its good.

Hills are great for building up distance as you physically cant stop as its stupidly hard to get going again! also keeping your cadence up down the other side helps as well.

mattobrien

Guru
As GrasB said, I find going fast on shorter stuff makes longer rides easier. That said, I set a new PB on my 21.5m loop a couple of days after completing the Dunwich Dynamo.

I generally tailor my effort to how far I am going, pacing myself better on longer rides, but I do think that short sprints increase my output capacity. If I work at 85% of max for a longer ride, as long as I can increase my overall maximum by means of short rides, I will be able to go a little quicker than before.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Those distances are what I refer to as utility miles. I consider a 20-30 mile ride a short ride, 60+ a long ride and the in between is a moderately long ride. This is completely arbitrary and just the way I break down my rides into groupings.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Those distances are what I refer to as utility miles. I consider a 20-30 mile ride a short ride, 60+ a long ride and the in between is a moderately long ride. This is completely arbitrary and just the way I break down my rides into groupings.

Life is 90% perception :smile: I know where you're coming from though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think I did slightly less miles than that challenge the last 2 weeks. Maybe even did more. Coincidently Sunday is proposed to be a 110 miler so would be like 20% of the challenge done within 1 day.

mattobrien

Guru
Oooh, just spotted the latest Strava challenge and we too have a 100+ miler planned for Sunday AM. This might be a challenge I can actually get close to completing.

In terms of categorising rides I work to
0-25 mIles = Short
26-49 = medium
50+ = long

Top Bottom