DIY Audax Events for Idiots Made Easy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
You are always welcome to build in a control at Chez HC if need be. An idea I got from watching Andy Curran’s YouTube videos was to have your own house as the sleep control on longer DIYs so you could eat, shower and sleep in the comfort of your own house. Very sensible. I’m going to do this for DIY 400s. But if I start a 600 I would like to do a calendar event still.
I haven't seen the video but this is exactly my cunning plan. I'm sure it's been done a lot. Whether it's Audax as intended is another matter.

Thanks for the offer. As you know there are lots of good mile-eating roads up this way and you're welcome to use me as an outpost as well.

A 600 - effectively two 180-190 mile rides on consecutive days - is far beyond my experience and I can't imagine wanting to add to the stress by resting/sleeping/recharging in an environment I don't control. So I'm sure I'll be using a figure-of-eight for that one as well, or maybe even a four-leaf clover.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A 600 - effectively two 180-190 mile rides on consecutive days - is far beyond my experience and I can't imagine wanting to add to the stress by resting/sleeping/recharging in an environment I don't control. So I'm sure I'll be using a figure-of-eight for that one as well, or maybe even a four-leaf clover.

Most folk find it better to ride 350 to 400k before stopping, leaving a relatively easy second day after a bit of sleep. That's certainly my usual modus operandi – I like to get a decent night's sleep (well... at least 4-5hrs). I have ridden a few straight through, perhaps with just a 20min bus-shelter snooze.

Ivo

Did a DIY 600 where hotel was first encountered at 290km. Checked in, had dinner, then went out on a 60km loop back to hotel. Then slept till morning with a 260km second day.

I once did a 1000 where this convenient option was available. Evening start, 400k loop to the hotel. Then a 100k loop, a loop of nearly 300k and a tad over 200k back to the start. Since it was very hot I decided to have a siesta after 400k, head out again for an early evening 100 followed by a short kip and then the 300. Worked quite ok.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Now look what you’ve done! I want to as well now. I have earmarked a 400 and a 600 I fancy trying next year. The 300 is near your neck of the woods might be the same one I did this summer as my first 300. It’s in March if it goes to schedule unlike last year.

*Question for the experienced riders: I couldn’t find the answer on the AUK site, but can these distances for the SR award be DIYs? I could probably manage a 300 and 400 as DIYs, but I would like to do a 600 as a calendar event.

Do some BRM ones and you will have many to chat about PBP with.

Top Bottom