DIY bike storage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richie244

I'm about to embark in a garden storage project. Basically it will be large cupboards along a wall around 5m long I have not decided on depth yet as looking at options.

The question is what position to store or hand bikes.

There are 4 of us 2 kids 2 adults I have 2 bikes but would like room to expand and obviously the kids will grow.

Option1. Put bikes flat (sideways to wall).
Requirements height 2m ( one bike above another) length 4 meters (2 bikes long) depth 0.5m max. This seems t take a lot of wall space.

Option 2. Bikes stores with wheels on wall using hangers on wall.
Requirements. Height 2m (bike wheel to wheel), length for 4 bikes 2m( may expand for growing numbers) Depth 1 meter (wheel to seat height).

Are there any other options I have missed or advice on the build.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lots of people hang bikes vertically to save space. I have your option 1 - two bikes stored on wall hangers (hanger under top tube) and both are secured to a wall anchor with cable lock. The two more expensive bikes are secured to a massive ground anchor with d-locks. There are 4 which aren't currently secured although 2 can be with another cable lock to a wall anchor. There isn't much space in the back of the garage with the bikes.

Mine's a brick garage with multiple locks on the up and over door.

If using a shed, you need a ground anchor bolted into the concrete base under (or a large flag stone) or a 'shed shackle'

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

Who said anything about timber? It will be made of brick with solid metal doors. I am not worried about security if some one wants to steal something badly enough they will. I'm not sure how you "buy" a garage, I have a garage but it too disjointed from my house and I am certainly not moving to accommodate the security of my bicycle thats more likely to be stolen when Im out and about.

fossyant

How do you mean your not sure how you would buy a garage?. When I bought mine it was straightforward enough, I just rang 4 places that were selling them they came round and gave me quotes and then I chose the company I wanted.They came out and knocked the old one down, erected the new one and then I paid them.

Like the person above said I thought timber when you said cupboards.
Why dont you just just buy a concrete shed instead?.

He has a garage. The challenge is making something !!!!

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I think it was assumed it would be timber when you said ...Basically it will be large cupboards along a wall, wrong I know but most people would assume it to be wooden

Ok I can see how that could be assumed. What I don't get is how is it helpfull to say "buy a garage" when I am clearly asking for storage options to save space and minimise storage footprint to store bikes.

He has a garage. The challenge is making something !!!!

Exactly. If the option was to buy a garage surely I would have put bigger sizes in the first place.
And I wouldn't buy one I'd build one. The plan is to move the bikes out of the garage so I can use it as a work shop. I'm glad I didn't ask about small family cars I'd be told to buy a tank. Lol

how well do tanks do in the euro encap crash tests, running costs and insurance could be quite high.:whistle:

sorry, couldn't resist

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

As you are building it, you could easily concrete in wall anchors as you go along.

That was always the plan thanks. Honestly not worried about security. Some of the rubbish I have seen bought that's supposedly "secure" would take seconds to get in.
I have already concreted in a steel beam to the ground and one is built into the wall to weld my anchors to not just for the bikes but the rest of the storage.

A garage will be more secure and will look better than a homemade contraption in your garden. I was thinking about your bikes security really. Good luck with it anyway, you'll certainly need it.

I never asked about security and what makes you think a garage would "look better" Have you been spying on my DIY? But thanks, not sure why you think I will need luck I've only just finnished building a barn conversion, summer house and garage (which I want to move my bikes out of.

fossyant

Actually, a 'homemade' contraption can be equally secure. If he can brick lay, with decent steel doors, then it will be better. Most garages aren't that secure. The up and over doors are a massive weak point (I have 5 locks/shoot bolts on mine).

Top Bottom