DIY bike storage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That was always the plan thanks. Honestly not worried about security. Some of the rubbish I have seen bought that's supposedly "secure" would take seconds to get in.
I have already concreted in a steel beam to the ground and one is built into the wall to weld my anchors to not just for the bikes but the rest of the storage.

I never asked about security and what makes you think a garage would "look better" Have you been spying on my DIY? But thanks, not sure why you think I will need luck I've only just finnished building a barn conversion, summer house and garage (which I want to move my bikes out of.

You are obviously handy, and it will be better than a 'bought' garage.

fossyant

I'll also add in many 'flat roofed' garages also have a weakness in the roof too. Our garage is a detached garage with a pitched roof - again you can remove tiles to get in, but the bikes won't fit through the rafters, and the doors can't be opened from the inside, nor windows broken (barred).

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I'll also add in many 'flat roofed' garages also have a weakness in the roof too. Our garage is a detached garage with a pitched roof - again you can remove tiles to get in, but the bikes won't fit through the rafters, and the doors can't be opened from the inside, nor windows broken (barred).

Thats the other reason for a "cupboard" type set up. No windows. Out of sight out of mind, Not being a thief I guess most of the time they are opportunists breaking in first and grabbing what they can.

Ultimately as I said if some one really wants your bike enough to take the tiles off then there is little you could do to stop them. I do have a CCTV set up which by moving the storage down the garden I can bring it in range, or I could wire the door to the mains that would be fun, not sure the wife will buy into that with the kids and dogs running around.

With the roof I am actually going for a living roof it will be Ply, tin, ply felt membrane, plant plugs. The reinforcement you need for one will put any would be "cat burglar" off.

Last edited:

fossyant

Thats the other reason for a "cupboard" type set up. No windows. Out of sight out of mind, Not being a thief I guess most of the time they are opportunists breaking in first and grabbing what they can.

Ultimately as I said if some one really wants your bike enough to take the tiles off then there is little you could do to stop them. I do have a CCTV set up which by moving the storage down the garden I can bring it in range, or I could wire the door to the mains that would be fun, not sure the wife will buy into that with the kids and dogs running around.

With the roof I am actually going for a living roof it will be Ply, tin, ply felt membrane, plant plugs. The reinforcement you need for one will put any would be "cat burglar" off.

We've had garages locally broken in via the roof - peeled back the flat roof and took a DH MTB and a racing BMX.

Sounds like a good option, and having a living roof will help it look nice.

fossyant

This seems to have gotten well away from the actual question which was how to minimise space (footprint) for bike storage or

Having a solid wall, then use the vertical mounts, but have either wall anchors that you can put a quality chain around the more expensive bikes - Aldi quite often do motorbike chains - we have a few of these we use at the caravan - bikes stored outside whilst we are there.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I havent heard you sing is it that bad and did you sell many copies ?

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

We've had garages locally broken in via the roof - peeled back the flat roof and took a DH MTB and a racing BMX.

Sounds like a good option, and having a living roof will help it look nice.

They will get in if they want to. I want to weld some solid brackets to run a solid bar through so if they really want the bike they would have to grind it iff which will damage the frame in some way, and make loads of noise.

Having a solid wall, then use the vertical mounts, but have either wall anchors that you can put a quality chain around the more expensive bikes - Aldi quite often do motorbike chains - we have a few of these we use at the caravan - bikes stored outside whilst we are there.

Its a concrete block wall built on their belly that is the starting point so pretty solid. I just need to take it up a corse. Once the shape/ size is determined I just need to weld brackets top and bottom to each bay.

Im thinking go for putting them bikes up the wall as in wheel on the wall by putting one front wheel up the next back wheel up I can fit more in. And of course if I have a spare bay Im more likely to be allowed to fill it. :okay:

sheddy

Legendary Member
I am contemplating building something outdoors for our 3 (or 4) bikes.
Security is not an issue, so I was thinking of a low wooden structure - 1 bike high x 4 bikes wide x 1 bike deep with felt roof and 2 big doors.
Just wheel em in by the saddle and close the doors.
Maybe use the top for a improvised workbench on dry days.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I am contemplating building something outdoors for our 3 (or 4) bikes.
Security is not an issue, so I was thinking of a low wooden structure - 1 bike high x 4 bikes wide x 1 bike deep with felt roof and 2 big doors.
Just wheel em in by the saddle and close the doors.
Maybe use the top for a improvised workbench on dry days.

That would stick out a bit too much for me. I had thought of two bike side by side then another two above but don't fancy the idea of having to get one bike out to get to the other.

AckaDappa

I tell you what.. You can build both in my garden and then choose which one you like :whistle:

I would say one above the other will be better to reduce the storage footprint..

Top Bottom