DIY servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Had my newest bike a year now.
I took it back to the shop for its preliminary check up and adjusting after several weeks and have since done the tweaking myself.

I quite fancy having a go at servicing the bike myself. I have a decent selection of correct tools and general maintenance know how.
Is it wise to DIY or would you suggest handing it over to the guys who do it day in, day out back at the bike shop?

Any good instructional guides available on the net or in book form to make sure I don't miss anything out?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Youtube is your friend. There are loads of clips there that will tell you everything you need to know. Also, have a look at the technical documents section of the website of your derailleur manufacturer, Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM or whatever. If you use Youtube clips, it's really a good idea to have a PC right next to the bike when you are working on it so that you can rewind the clips endlessly. The Americans tend to gabble too quickly for me.

It's enormous fun to service your own bike, and you can save a fortune.

keithmac

Guru
It's worth doing yourself but know your limits an if unsure ask a professional.

I've seen plenty of shocking things in my years of motorcycle repair due to "mates" helping out..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4471321, member: 259"]What could possibly go wrong?[/QUOTE]
Serious injury or death, as the lawyers' disclaimers always state? I bought a two foot square working platform that was all of 18 inches tall. The user manual warned me not to use it when under the influence of alcohol.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The park tool blue book, their website, www.SheldonBrown.com and searching for part names.

I do my own servicing. I got tired of paying for shops to do it and then discovering corners cut by at least three of them over the years, two of them potentially serious. It's also a nuisance taking the bike to the shop and I'm usually OK at feeling when bearings are going and stuff like that.

I still use a servicing checklist, though.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are lots of things in life I could do myself, however I often prefer to pay somebody else. I am fully capable of doing all things on the bike but it is so cheap in the shop that I will happily use them and do better things with my time.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'd say there is a middle ground between servicing it by the LBS or yourself. I do more and more myself, but I think I might not spot some things, I hadn't noticed how much my disk rotor had worn until they spotted it for example.

I do my own V brakes, or disk brake blocks, chain, cassette etc, but I would still take it to the bike shop if I needed a new headset or anything major done to the disk brakes. I book it in and say which things I've done and ask them to do specific things.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Serious injury or death, as the lawyers' disclaimers always state? I bought a two foot square working platform that was all of 18 inches tall. The user manual warned me not to use it when under the influence of alcohol.

ive been doing H&S saftey exams this week and a whole day of it to enjoy this weds in Manchester..yes 300 mile round trip to listen to dont do this or that...

how the hell we managed to survive long enough to make the population reach 7 billion ill never know :laugh:

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are a lot of things I can do myself on my bikes and if I am out on tour, I do them. Having said that all the obvious things like tyres, brakes, cables etc. are all checked before I actually go on tour.

But I often use my LBS for bigger jobs. Changing a cassette, checking a bottom bracket. If you can afford a two grand bike, you can afford for a mechanic to do the job properly. Apart from that it helps keep him in business and he is not expensive.

If you are on a tight budget, its a different matter and I would be doing all I could myself. Whichever way it goes, it is good to know how to do even the big jobs if you have to.

Tin Pot

Guru
Had my newest bike a year now.
I took it back to the shop for its preliminary check up and adjusting after several weeks and have since done the tweaking myself.

I quite fancy having a go at servicing the bike myself. I have a decent selection of correct tools and general maintenance know how.
Is it wise to DIY or would you suggest handing it over to the guys who do it day in, day out back at the bike shop?

Any good instructional guides available on the net or in book form to make sure I don't miss anything out?

I think you have to maintain yourself, the bike shop guys are for disasters.

I've got a few links in my sig for my explorations into it. It was fun.

I think you have to maintain yourself, the bike shop guys are for disasters.
Great line. Agree totally.
Last time I took a bike to a shop was a couple of months ago - issue with BB threads on an old frame I had bought.

Bike shop sorted it for a tenner.

I will continue to do BBs myself. Not a major job if you are careful.

Top Bottom