Do any of you have any knowledge of gas safety regs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

again , ony if its Part P notifiable work .

how do I know. I have justed searched both for certificates I have issued for Notifiable work and Non Notifiable work ....guess what is the only one that gives a result .....

If its non notifiable work, is any old person allowed to work on it, or is it just that there's no way of checking?

classic33

Leg End Member
again , ony if its Part P notifiable work .

how do I know. I have justed searched both for certificates I have issued for Notifiable work and Non Notifiable work ....guess what is the only one that gives a result .....
Both are registers, nothing else.

subaqua

What’s the point
If its non notifiable work, is any old person allowed to work on it, or is it just that there's no way of checking?

Electricity Yes. much to my disdain

Gas No ( well there are certian exclusions but in a commercial environment , which renting is then NO . MUST be a registered competent PERSON )

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm sure they do, but there's at least a basic minimum standard of training and I can be confident they're at least gas safe registered. I've got no way of knowing whether the guy he's sent round is actually qualified and both gas safe & NICEIC approved as all he gives me is a first name.
I think they're supposed to show you their gas safe card if asked.
Gas, has to be registered for most home insurance to remain valid. It'll be there in the terms & conditions.
Gas has to be registered in this case for the landlord to be operating legally. I would imagine if NickNick had to make a contents claim that was invalidated by a non-registered gas person having worked there, he would be in a position to sue the landlord. Hopefully the landlord would also find himself facing prosecution from the HSE or similar.

subaqua

What’s the point
I think they're supposed to show you their gas safe card if asked.

Gas has to be registered in this case for the landlord to be operating legally. I would imagine if NickNick had to make a contents claim that was invalidated by a non-registered gas person having worked there, he would be in a position to sue the landlord. Hopefully the landlord would also find himself facing prosecution from the HSE or similar.

he would indeed be prosecuted ( Landlord) http://www.fmj.co.uk/cambridge-land-lord-handed-suspended-sentence-for-gas-document-fraud/

classic33

Leg End Member
registers of NOTIFIABLE works. not of certificates .... a certificate MUST be given for all works. thats covered in EAWR 1989 ....
I only gave ways of checking the person, before any work is done. GasSafe replaced CORGI and you gave the same link as myself with regards electrical.

subaqua

What’s the point
I only gave ways of checking the person, before any work is done. GasSafe replaced CORGI and you gave the same link as myself with regards electrical.

let me put this in really simple terms.

gas has a register. ALL those who work on gas commercially ( i.e. receive payment in any form) MUST be on the register.

Electricity doesnt . you only need to be on a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) if doing Notifiable work as per Part P of the Building regs 2013 in England and Wales.

there are approved contractor schemes, but these ARE NOT mandatory for anybody to join.

You DO NOT have to be on a CPS to do notifiable works . you can advise the Local authority building Control of the works and pay a fee and they will arrange for it to be checked for compliance. Not effective for a trader.

the link we provided for details for NOTIFIABLE works. Changing a socket outlet or swapping the polarity is not notifiable works

classic33

Leg End Member
let me put this in really simple terms.

gas has a register. ALL those who work on gas commercially ( i.e. receive payment in any form) MUST be on the register.

Electricity doesnt . you only need to be on a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) if doing Notifiable work as per Part P of the Building regs 2013 in England and Wales.

there are approved contractor schemes, but these ARE NOT mandatory for anybody to join.

You DO NOT have to be on a CPS to do notifiable works . you can advise the Local authority building Control of the works and pay a fee and they will arrange for it to be checked for compliance. Not effective for a trader.

the link we provided for details for NOTIFIABLE works. Changing a socket outlet or swapping the polarity is not notifiable works
Well aware of what I posted, in an attempt to help someone find out/check the person beforehand, nothing more.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
That's ideal, would give me a way to put mind to rest if I'm not comfortable with whomever he gets out to re do the safety check, thanks!
Hmm, it reads to me as if it's inspecting new installations, not repair work.

I think your first move is to ask for the safety certificate that shows a new test after repair which the installation passed, or a formal certificate that signs off the failure with details of work done. I don't know the system, but one or the other of these should apply. The landlord is required to have a certificate showing the gas installation is safe to use.
These must give the name of the engineer and the gas safe number. Check these match the records on the gas safe site. Take a photo of the engineer next time, or if one comes again. The gas safe site has photos of the people registered.

If neither is forthcoming (which is sounds like they might not be), or the engineer details don't match then the landlord is operating illegally. At which point you get the HSE involved. The fact that you are insisting on the certificate may be enough to make him actually get a proper one done.

Top Bottom