Do any of you have any knowledge of gas safety regs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
9DE6E8E0-5675-4DAF-AD24-F9E0ECEA3E59.jpeg

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

Hmm, it reads to me as if it's inspecting new installations, not repair work.

I think your first move is to ask for the safety certificate that shows a new test after repair which the installation passed, or a formal certificate that signs off the failure with details of work done. I don't know the system, but one or the other of these should apply. The landlord is required to have a certificate showing the gas installation is safe to use.
These must give the name of the engineer and the gas safe number. Check these match the records on the gas safe site. Take a photo of the engineer next time, or if one comes again. The gas safe site has photos of the people registered.

If neither is forthcoming (which is sounds like they might not be), or the engineer details don't match then the landlord is operating illegally. At which point you get the HSE involved. The fact that you are insisting on the certificate may be enough to make him actually get a proper one done.

Seeing as the cooker is beyond repair and is having to be replaced I could at least get them out to check that. Based on the last couple of calls I think he's going to try and get a second hand one...

Thanks for all the advice and ideas everyone.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Just sayin, but Scottish Gas technician turns up to do the annual service: paid for the annual parts & labour contract thingumy as I was a landlord and rented the place out while w*rking abroad. 15 mins in he says he has to disconnect boiler to make safe as there was a gash in the flu and that part is discountinued.....’you need a new boiler Sir’. The gash in the flu just happend to be screwdriver sized. 4K for a new boiler. Go figure. Huge complaint lodged, but they could not have cared less. Terminated contract, natch. Shower of Charlatans.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just sayin, but Scottish Gas technician turns up to do the annual service: paid for the annual parts & labour contract thingumy as I was a landlord and rented the place out while w*rking abroad. 15 mins in he says he has to disconnect boiler to make safe as there was a gash in the flu and that part is discountinued.....’you need a new boiler Sir’. The gash in the flu just happend to be screwdriver sized. 4K for a new boiler. Go figure. Huge complaint lodged, but they could not have cared less. Terminated contract, natch. Shower of Charlatans.

Quite, i'd not trust British gas to organise refreshments in a brewery

Top Bottom