Do Cyclists Greet Eachother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I live waaaaay out in the sticks. It's quite rare to encounter anyone not shut up inside a car whizzing by at high speed. (It's a bit like Thomas Dolby said of Hollywood: there's not a lot of people here, just an awful lot of cars... ). So I'll greet anyone not thus cut off from civilised society and able to communicate - mostly dog walkers and horse riders and the occasional other cyclist. There's usually at least a nod in response.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I greet fellow cyclists. Normally with a flip of the middle finger and Homer-esque 'So long, loser' as I blast past them at 110% and leave them in my wake of dust and lycra-clad awesomeness.

And then I hit the bottom of a climb.
I hold back from my full effort until the cyclist I'm following hits the bottom of the climb, then I overtake! :smile:

I only say hello to people wearing a helmet who jump red lights with a camera on a Triban 3 with a Cree light:laugh:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I used to wave at other Morris Minor drivers when I drove a Morris Minor but it's different on bikes. I reckon I say hello to people on bikes about as often as I say hello to other pedestrians, i.e. when we have caught each others eye for perhaps a moment too long and something is needed to break the tension. Or if I'm in my own (neighbour) 'hood and I pass some one I see around a lot.
It's not really worth saying hello to other cyclists just for the sake of both being on a bike. They can be quite a grumpy group of people sometimes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In my mind his name is "Blue Beanie", as that is what he wore through the winter ... it has now changed to a brown peaked cap but the name has stuck (brown peaked cap didn't sound as good:whistle: ). I do wonder what his real name is though!

ayceejay

Guru
I said this before but it won't stop me saying it again.
This is the way it works:
You go out on yer bike, you are merrily pedaling away when you espy someone you imagine is a soul mate so you hail him with a greeting - he ignores you.
The next day you go out again and coming the other way is the ignoramus you saw yesterday so you studiously ignore him as he waves and shouts "Hi". You feel like a twat.
Day three you take a different route.

Top Bottom