Do Cyclists Greet Eachother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HardPlant

Hello everyone, i remember seeing a thread here about arrogant cyclists? I was confused about what it was about but i think it was something like other cyclists not waving back to you when you wave at them? So i guess the person who started this thread was unhappy since other cyclists dont wave back to him? He was also talking something about teams but i couldn't figure out what that was about.
I know that motorcyclists and bus drivers wave to eachother when they pass.

Well of course regular people who just use bikes to get to A to B use bicycles as a form of transport and dont bother waving to eachother since it's the same thing as walking past a stranger on the street for them, but im talking about the cyclists that ride road bikes and have all the full set spandex, helmet, cycling shoes etc. When you see someone like that you know that he is enthusiastic about cycling and it's what they take seriously.

I have been a couch potato for my whole life and i was like 255lbs and now im down to 195 and i finally found something im enthusiastic about and i know this is what i wanna do, at the moment i just have a regular Scott scale 60 so it's a mountain bike but im looking to buy a road bike right now. (Scott Speedster 20). I know this was kind of off topic but i just want to know these things as i found my new love which is cycling :biggrin:

Dan J B

Hi there - I started cycling (again) back in March and began on my Crosstrail wearing my old spinning gym gear. I have always said hi or nodded to other cyclists in and around Chichester and in the majority of cases always receive a greeting in return. In the beginning a few guys on road bikes ignored me but now I have joined their ranks even cycling clubs say hello en-mass. Cheers.

Dan

Mile195

Veteran
If I'm on a weekend leisure ride, I sometimes give a small nod if it seems appropriate. Sometimes it's reciprocated, sometimes it's not - makes no odds really.

When I commute I stare straight ahead and ignore nearly everyone. That's the law in London. If you speak to someone at a set of traffic lights then you're obviously weird, or from Mars or something...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i normally say hello or nod but loads dont !

Ciar

Veteran
On my commute you get the odd nod or you don't, I think on the road most people are generally preoccupied with getting from A-B and concentrating on the tools in their tin cans, where as when I ride my MTB and trails with a couple of friends, due to the stop start nature you end up talking to and saying hi to quite a few other riders, generally asking how the trail is, very muddy dry and quick so on so forth.

I did a road run the other Sunday and a roadie while scalping me was very polite as he whistled past and said good morning :smile:

Top Bottom