Do Gel seats work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Always used Brooks B17 ("butchered" with the big copper rivets) in early years, which was comfy but a bit heavy in competition. Later on a switch to firm plastic covered with a decent (unpadded) layer of leather, which was very supportive. And I've still got it in frequent use. It's simply horses for courses. Those thick gel things are horrible, sweaty, saddle sore devices. One more thing - quality shorts with a proper gender specific anatomic insert, and chamois cream (or Sudacrem) - can't beat it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What is the stuff that's used in wrist supports for mouse mats and keyboards? Is it an aerated silicon foam or a gel? Isn't this the kind of stuff that's used in big fat squashy saddles, bought mostly by people who think they'll be a good idea?

NP6013.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Gel saddles have a silicone looking gel in them, foam saddles have closed cell foam. Gel saddle once wore out for a fellow on a ride, and silicone sort of gel was inside.

Kevin T

Spend your money on a more expensive pad in your shorts.

S.Giles

I use a saddle that purports to be a 'gel' saddle (whatever that means), and it suits me fine. I bought it (for £14) to replace a saddle that had stitched-together panels that would hold water which would then seep out and dampen the nether regions. I've done several 100+ mile trips on my 'gel' saddle, and wouldn't consider swapping it unless it broke or something. If I purchased a new bike, I'd swap it over to the new one in fact.

Top Bottom