Do I actually need a better racing bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi All,

After spending hours researching into 2 new bikes, im seriously re-considering if i actually need a new road and TT bike and therefore need some advice.

I am currently commuting everyday to work (22 miles per day) and ride regularly at weekends upto 100 miles per day. I also train on the turbo at home when weather is not suitable to be out in. My plan is to sign up to a couple of local clubs in the next few months and start competing next season.

I currently own two road bikes:
- 58cm Specialized Allez with Sora Groupset
- 61cm Giant CFR (Carbon circa 99) with full Ultegra 6500 Groupset

I would like to get into TT'ing next season and am tempted to get myself a TT bike. I planned to visit the Planet X Warehouse to test out a their current PX Stealth Pro Carbon and the SL Carbon Pro, but am unsure if i'll actually need these bikes for next season.

I have a S-Works E5 frame which i am tempted to build up with the Ultegra Groupset (from the Giant CFR) and DA 7800 wheels from my garage instead of purchasing a new road bike from PX.

Regarding the TT bike, i am tempted to use the Sora Components (from Allez) and just add DA shifters, some TT bars and pickup a new Dolan F&F for £300. I have another set of Mavic Cosmic wheels that could be used for this build.

Can anyone advise if this is a better idea for my first competative season? It seems to make sense, rather then spending £2,500 on new PX gear (as good as it may be!).

AlanW

Guru
Personally I would suggest that what you already have is plenty good enough.

"Maybe" get a decent set of carbon TT wheels, and a good set of tubs. But I'd wait and see how you perform first?

But this all depends on your budget of course, but again personally I would look at something other than Mavic Cosmics. Don't get me wrong, great wheels and bomb proof to, BUT they are heavy by today's standards.

I'd also make do - convert one of the existing bikes and start getting the body used to the new riding position. Then gain experience of what you need so that you make an informed purchase- a pair of 404's will make a big dent in that kitty!

I don't know enough about the Planet X bikes but if I was spending that money I'd be looking at an established top-end name for the frame.

Top Bottom