Do I have a problem with my credit rating? something weird is going on. any advice appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Its important to say I don't do credit. fortunately never needed it. So, I can't have a bad credit history.
Problem is...............
We are all aware big shops are closed eg Currys.............everything is click and collect.
Currys web site told me they don't have the item I want so...........
I went on the Dyson website to order a vacuum.
It was totally jammed so I used the 0800 number. Placed the order and agreed delivery. Gave my M&S MasterCard details. Given a link for secure payment. M&S texted me to say they were aware of the payment.........all fine.
Transaction finished, put the phone down, one minute later Dyson emailed to say they had declined the transaction. No explanation, no one you can speak to.
So...........

Back to the Currys website to order the model down (which they had).
Went through all the rigmarole to order it. Got as far as my name/address/email etc. Didn't get as far as card detail and..................
A flag came up declining the transaction. Again no reason and no-one I can speak to.

Today I phoned M&S and they assure me a) there is nothing dodgy with my account b) Dyson have not taken any money.
I deliberately went to a shop today and paid by card............no problem.
To me ( and I have no experience) it seemed to be my personal details that caused the problem.
So...........
Is there any way I can check it?
Could I be the victim of some fraud etc?
I have no idea what to try.

Credit Karma. It’s free and brings together the three main agencies details for you to review.

It could just be that the transaction is over the thresholds so the bank is rejecting the payment as it thinks it is fraud. Some company systems try and do it all simultaneously and will not wait for any bank checks before rejecting the order. It happened to me when I tried to order a laptop before.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have used Experian. Seems to do the job.

I had problems paying for something years ago. My card details were rejected. 24 hours later it was working fine.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Credit Karma. It’s free and brings together the three main agencies details for you to review.

It could just be that the transaction is over the thresholds so the bank is rejecting the payment as it thinks it is fraud. Some company systems try and do it all simultaneously and will not wait for any bank checks before rejecting the order. It happened to me when I tried to order a laptop before.
Thanks for that.
Its definitely not the bank as a) they approved it and confirmed it. I have an 8 grand limit which I never get near and I pay it off every month.
I will try that Karma BUT!!!!
I thought that just by asking the question it caused problems.
I will google it.

It may not be a credit problem, but a location problem. A friend of mine in Cornwall has had his home address added to the none-delivery list for Amazon and other online retailers. Nothing wrong with his credit, he just has a problem with frequently buying and returning stuff so Amazon deny any transaction where he attempts to ship things to his house. He's now shipping things to my mum's house!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have used Experian. Seems to do the job.

I had problems paying for something years ago. My card details were rejected. 24 hours later it was working fine.
My first thought BUT............Currys rejected the transaction before I put card details in. Hence me wondering if its my personal details. Could someone have used them and caused a problem?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It may not be a credit problem, but a location problem. A friend of mine in Cornwall has had his home address added to the none-delivery list for Amazon and other online retailers. Nothing wrong with his credit, he just has a problem with frequently buying and returning stuff so Amazon deny any transaction where he attempts to ship things to his house. He's now shipping things to my mum's house!
Now that is interesting.
I infrequently buy via Amazon with no problem but I suppose that could change overnight.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Dyson system might have flagged the order as a high risk (of fraud) transaction which means they will automatically decline the order.
Thanks.
Again, they went all the way and accepted payment. Maybe the people who process it weren't happy.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My first thought BUT............Currys rejected the transaction before I put card details in. Hence me wondering if its my personal details. Could someone have used them and caused a problem?

Very odd

vickster

Legendary Member
Call your credit card company and ask, clearly the transactions have been flagged for some reason.
Can’t see what it has to do with your credit rating as you already have the credit on the card :crazy:

Assume you have checked the balance on your card and that it’s not been robbed?

Drago

Legendary Member
Sign up to one of the free services like Clearscore. That'll give you a quick and dirty idea if there's any fraud going on in your name, and tell you your credit rating.

But the problem may simply be a lack of credit history.

Top Bottom