Do I or don`t I??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Sell my very much loved VW Golf which is PURELY a toy, and nothing more??

Been thinking about it for a few months now, as this car sits in the garage, month after month, year after year. I only ever take it out for a bit of fun when the mood takes me, and that is only during the summer months, it covers about 500 miles/year. It really isn`t practical to keep it.

If I did sell it, I would be about 8K better off, and have an empty garage to fill up with bike stuff and set up as a pain cave:bicycle:

I wouldn`t be without wheels as I have a beaten up, smokey diesel workhorse, known as a 16 year old Vauxhall Astra.

Getting rid of the golf would be less work to do, ie cleaning, maintaining etc, less cost, one less thing to worry about.

BUT...... I`ve had that car 7 years, it`s my pride and joy (being a Golf R32), and I worked bloody hard to save for it when I bought it.

Please help me, I don`t know what to do!!:crazy::hyper:

Jimidh

Veteran
Keep it - we all need our toys

Fubar

Guru
Do you need the 8k? There's loads of useless things we could all get rid of, depends if you have higher priorities.

In my younger days I would have loved a fast car, these days a car is just a mode of transport.

Mrs M

Guru
If you still love cleaning, maintaining and "cruisin" I would keep it. As you say worked hard for it so why not?
Unless you're be getting a bit fed up with all that.
Sounds as if the car is very well looked after, so even if you kept it a while longer would probably still get a decent price.
My BIL has a convertible BMW that only comes out to play in the summer, keeps it in the garage and only taxed when it's on the road, I think.
(If it were me I'd keep it).
Hope you make the right decision :smile:.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sell my very much loved VW Golf which is PURELY a toy, and nothing more??

Been thinking about it for a few months now, as this car sits in the garage, month after month, year after year. I only ever take it out for a bit of fun when the mood takes me, and that is only during the summer months, it covers about 500 miles/year. It really isn`t practical to keep it.

If I did sell it, I would be about 8K better off, and have an empty garage to fill up with bike stuff and set up as a pain cave:bicycle:

I wouldn`t be without wheels as I have a beaten up, smokey diesel workhorse, known as a 16 year old Vauxhall Astra.

Getting rid of the golf would be less work to do, ie cleaning, maintaining etc, less cost, one less thing to worry about.

BUT...... I`ve had that car 7 years, it`s my pride and joy (being a Golf R32), and I worked bloody hard to save for it when I bought it.

Please help me, I don`t know what to do!!:crazy::hyper:

My mate just sold his 56 plate R32..400 a year tax.sell it..
there not bad cars but 500 miles a year ??? no point keeping it as it is or could be a financial time bomb

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Keep it.

I have a Honda CB500 in my garage that's done less than 2000 miles in the eight years that I've owned it. It's twenty years old and has less than 8,000 miles on the clock. The feel good factor when I ride it is priceless.

I might even add another motor bike to not ride in the not too distant future.

Similarly I did less than 1000 miles between the last 2 MOTs in the Alfa Spider (2003), but then it isn't worth as much as yours. It was bought very much a summer car, plus insurance is next to sod all on it for me. Driving it makes me very happy and as the garage would be full of crap if it wasn't in there it enforces a minimalist approach to it. For that reason I decided to.....sell it.
....and buy an even older one. Partly because I can't think of a better way of putting the money to use. Chances are as an investment it'll make nothing, but the weekends away...
Go take it out for a drive, if you can - I'm not in UK so weather permitting there. Park up somewhere and walk away from it, then come back and ask again.

Top Bottom