Do I really need a MTB??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
as you might be aware, I sold my MTB. Had it less than I hear but only used it a handful of times, and the times I took it off the road, it was over qualified for the job!

When I say off road, is just paths with gravel / dirt in country parks and jumping over the odd bump caused by big trees roots or natural steps etc, seems that with age Im getting more scared of doing bigger stunts! :blush:

Also had disc breaks that squealed like mad and Im start to consider a bike with V brakes as my reasoning is that if my road bike stopped me at 40mph then a bike off road going nowhere near that speed will do fine also with V brakes?

So my needs are :

I bike I can take occasionally off road (exclusively summer!) > not for jumping / big downhills but obviously still bumpy / uneven / muddy / grassy surface.
A bike I can use on the road in winter for both shorter / cruising and longer distances
A bike with V brakes (wont be riding in the rain, only if I get caught out!) if anyone else agrees with my reasoning :tongue:
What is the cheapest most decent groupset?
A not too manly looking bike please ;)

Can you please suggest a few bikes other than the carrera?

how about the Felt QX70?
or Specialized Crosstrail?
or Cannondale Quick?

I want to take advantage of the sales as I saw some great deals all round but keep changing my mind!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A hybrid possibly (half mtb, half roadie) ... Personally I don't think you need suspension if you're on the road most of the time, so fully rigid should suit you... just by a bike you like the look of (and can pick up easily), Style over speed if you're not racing or planning on doing rides in excess of 30-40 miles.

Main thing with off road is your tyres, you want a bit of nobble on 'em.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
hi Mister, thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:. Not really convinced on the Carrera, i think it has a twist gear change which I dont like and it has no susp?

The Carerra is more than up to the job. It's an underrated bike. My son has had two of them and he could get everywhere that I could on my Trek 4500. They are desirable bikes. So much so that he had both of his stolen.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Good morning! :hello:
So the Carrera is the undisputed best hybrid out there? Without wishing to upset anyone I think they look dull, and surely looks do come in the equation when choosing a new bike? I will pop by a Halfords anyway as is not too far away and sometimes pics don't do justice.
Are the bikes I submitted really rubbish? If so can you please offer me some alternatives ?
When I went to Carnwall and locked my forks by mistake (well forgot to unlock them) I found my elbows and wrists were hurting me after a long day riding off road. Hence me thinking I still needed sus...

lukesdad

elbows and wrists could that be because its something you havnt done for a while ? If so sus wont really help, it might actually compound the problem.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[QUOTE 1548932"]
It may be that you were locking or tensing your arms too much. Most people find that padded gloves, bar does and maybe ergo grips are enough.

Front suspension saps energy and affects the bike's handling. It's not so bad if you can lock it out, but it still adds weight and cost to the bike.
[/quote]

I agree. My Cube Reaction frame weights about 4.5Kg. It is more than double that with the Fox Forks. I think for the OP's needs a Hybrid would be just fine as long as it will take wide(ish) tyres. As much as I hate to say it the Subway 2011 looks like a good bike for the money.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Good morning! :hello:
So the Carrera is the undisputed best hybrid out there? Without wishing to upset anyone I think they look dull, and surely looks do come in the equation when choosing a new bike? I will pop by a Halfords anyway as is not too far away and sometimes pics don't do justice.
Are the bikes I submitted really rubbish? If so can you please offer me some alternatives ?
When I went to Carnwall and locked my forks by mistake (well forgot to unlock them) I found my elbows and wrists were hurting me after a long day riding off road. Hence me thinking I still needed sus...

sometimes locking suspension alters bike geometry, i.e., throwing more weight onto the hands, might just have been the change in position. i suggest that, ergon grips, fatter tyres and lower pressures is all you need, cheaper than a bike; or is it a case of n+1 as well?

Top Bottom